× Members

'Invited' to apply for PIP at 68 years old

More
8 years 5 months ago #144264 by zybbok
Hello folks.
My wife has been on high rate DLA and high rate Motability for a number of years.
About 12 years ago, she developed multiple medical conditions and this forced her to give up her work due to serious health grounds when she was about 56 years old.
At that time she applied for IB, DLA and Motability.
It was easier to get benefits then and she was awarded all three with the DLA and Motability at the higher rates.
When she got to 60, she lost the IB and went on to the government pension.
She is turning 68 shortly and has just received the brown envelope 'inviting' her to apply for PIP.
Now I am under the impression that PIP is only available to working age people at this time e.g.16 to 64
I did some looking around the internet and found out that people over 65 have to apply for Attendance Allowance.
Now if this is the case what happens to the Motability allowance?
At this time we have a Motability car which we got just last October.
My wife definitely need some sort of transport to get around and without the car she will be virtually housebound.
Apart from the fact that when choosing the car we decided to get a larger one for her to get in and out of easily.
So this entailed using a deposit.
Maybe someone can set me straight on her being able to apply for PIP instead of Attendance Allowance.
Thanx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #144298 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic 'Invited' to apply for PIP at 68 years old
Hi Zybbok and welcome to the forum. On the assumption that you are also new to the site, you should find this link helps you find your way around the site.

Welcome to Benefits and Work

The date of your wife's birthday is going to be vital here.

Claimants who were under the age of 65 on 8th April 2013 will be 'invited' to claim PIP at some stage. If your wife falls into this category her DLA will be stopped, even if she does not apply for PIP.

If your wife was 65 or over on the above date, she will continue to receive DLA for as long as she is judged to qualify for it (unless the law undergoes further changes at a later date). This includes her mobility award.

New claimants over the age of 65 must apply for Attendance Allowance and this does not have a mobility component.

This issue is covered in the 'spotlight' area at the top of the forum

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?view=topic&catid=10&id=105719

If you have further questions please reply to this message and we will do our best to help. You will find it easily if you bookmark/favourite it on your web browser now, or click on your username when you are logged into the forum :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.