× Members

health & disability coach before submitting ESA50

More
8 years 5 months ago #144269 by Owl
Apologies if thid subject has already beeb addresed in the forum, but I was wondering whether the offer of health & disability coaching support progrsmme at locla job centre even v=before my ESA50 form deadline is wise to take up, especially as my condition id highly variable and fluctuating? The letter says my benefits won't be affected if I ring up to say I can't or won't take appointment in a week but I am concerned they will put pressure on me to take steps to get back into work before i am ready and before even reading my form (posted today) Has anyeone else experienced this and have any insights? Thnank you as this is causing me stress which i snot helping.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #144297 by Gordon
JB

Welcome to the forum.

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

I believe this is a new initiative by JC+ to try and provide new ESA claimants with quick access to medical services and by doing so enable a quicker return to work. Quite how effective someone with no access to your medical history and limited ability, if any, to refer you for treatment, is questionable.

Any activity that you undertake, this "course" included will be considered as part of the assessment process, so if the limitations that result from your conditions would be contradicted by your attending then you should consider refusing.

As far as I am aware this is not a Mandatory activity but you should check the letter to confirm this.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Owl

More
8 years 5 months ago #144370 by Owl
Thank you very much for your quick reply Gordon.

I took this letter to show to my local CAB who thought it was a positive step to address discrimination against the disabled in the workplace and not connected in any way to my ESA claim. But I thought it was very odd; as you say they don't know anything yet about my conditions as the DWP have yet to see my form and assume that I can come in and be "coached" back into work although they don not mention that word as such. Anyway as you also say, the letter says that agreeing to go on this programme is entirely voluntary and if I do not i it will not affect my benefit. If I do not attend the initial appointment already made there is an implied pressure to do so and the onus is on me to reply/refuse... I am not up to travelling in (which would take over an hour) and sitting for an hour for the appointment and then back again, especially on a regular basis, otherwise I would already be applying for jobs or working and not claiming ESA, so I will have to phone them to politely refuse. They do say this is a new initiative available for a short time in this area, Eastleigh JC+. Thank you so much again for your interpretation which has been very helpful! Cheers!

Moderators: GordonlatetrainBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.