× Members

DLA due to expire

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #144525 by couchie
DLA due to expire was created by couchie
My first post as a new member, so hi everyone.

My DLA claim is due to expire in Jan 2016, I recieve the top level in both components. I've not heard anything yet about inviting me to claim again. Should I just sit it out & wait until I'm contacted? Should I contact them soon to find out what is going on? If I don't hear from them will my benifits carry on until I do?

Also, when something does happen, I'm expecting to be invited to apply for PIP rather than DLA. Is this a fair assumtion?

Thanks all for a great site & forum. I'm sure I will give it a lot use in the near future.

Regards,
Chris.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #144541 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic DLA due to expire
Hi Chris and welcome to B+W. The following link will help you find your way around.

Welcome to Benefits and Work

Unlike ESA, DLA is awarded for a fixed term so you cannot afford to let this go. You should contact DWP, the number should be on top of your most recent letter from them, and ask what is happening. You are right to assume that you will be 'invited' to claim PIP at this stage, you can help to prepare yourself for this by having a good look at our PIP guide beforehand.

PIP help for claimants

If you have further questions, please reply to this message and we will do our best to help. You will find it easily in future if you bookmark/favourite it on your web browser now, or click on your username when you are logged into the site :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: couchie

More
8 years 5 months ago #144550 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA due to expire
couchie

Just to add to the advice already given, PIP is only live on the UK mainland, if this does not apply to you then I would expect it to be a DLA renewal, the requirement to chase the DWP about it applies wherever you are.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta, couchie

More
8 years 5 months ago #144601 by couchie
Replied by couchie on topic DLA due to expire
Hello again

Thank you for your quick replies.

Sorry for the confusion (on my part). I was looking through my paperwork to find a contact number for the DWP. I came across a letter from them saying my award now runs until the 22nd April 2016. Not as they originally stated, January 2016. I forgot all about it until I came across it this morning.

But I would still like to ask advice. They say in the letter I have no need to contact them, they will be in touch in plenty of time. By the way the letter is presented it seems I may be "invited" to apply for PIP when the time comes. How long should I wait before I give them a nudge? Bearing in mind I need some time to fill out forms, owing to my dyspraxia, I usually seek assistance from outside agencies.

Thank you again for your advice so far.
Regards,
Chris

More
8 years 5 months ago #144608 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA due to expire

couchie wrote: Hello again

Thank you for your quick replies.

Sorry for the confusion (on my part). I was looking through my paperwork to find a contact number for the DWP. I came across a letter from them saying my award now runs until the 22nd April 2016. Not as they originally stated, January 2016. I forgot all about it until I came across it this morning.

But I would still like to ask advice. They say in the letter I have no need to contact them, they will be in touch in plenty of time. By the way the letter is presented it seems I may be "invited" to apply for PIP when the time comes. How long should I wait before I give them a nudge? Bearing in mind I need some time to fill out forms, owing to my dyspraxia, I usually seek assistance from outside agencies.

Thank you again for your advice so far.
Regards,
Chris

I would expect them to contact you about 20 weeks in advance of your claim ending, by my calculation that would mean that you should receive the invitation letter in about two weeks time.

The thing to keep an eye on is your DLA payments, the initial letter will give you four weeks to start a claim, if you do not then you will receive a second letter giving you a further four week to make a claim, your DLA will be suspended at this point, so as long as you are still receiving your DLA you are good.

If you have not heard anything by the end of this year, then I would chase them, providing you meet all of the deadlines associated with a PIP claim, your DLA will remain in payment until four weeks after a Decision on your PIP claim is made, even if this means that they have to extend your current DLA award to do this.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: couchie

More
8 years 5 months ago #144614 by couchie
Replied by couchie on topic DLA due to expire
Gordon
Thank you for your reply. Very sound, easy to understand advice.

I shall keep an eye on the ball from this point. And while I'm waiting I shall use this site & forum to glean as much information as I can.

Thanks again,
Chris.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.