× Members

Educational psychologist report as PIP evidence?

More
8 years 6 months ago #144560 by misssarah89
At a recent PIP assessment I had sent a copy of an educational psychologist report that I had following screening for learning difficulties.

The report determined that I have below average reading and writing speed, auditory, visual and sequential processing difficulties.
However the HCP said that they would not be able to take these into account? I am wondering if this is true or not?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• foss27
8 years 6 months ago #144586 by foss27
I think what you need to do is relate the report to descriptors on the claim form.

The HCA might be saying a report on its own doesn't change anything but if you relate activities and difficulties doing them due to the problems highlighted in the report then it is evidence which has to be taken into account.
Hopefully your decision will be what you want but if it isn't look at the HCA report and if you see areas where you haven't been awarded the points you think you should then you should appeal and use the report as advised above. You have to remember everything comes down to the way your condition(s) affect you and your ability to carry out the activities in the descriptors.
One example off the top of my head is the planning and following a journey. There will be others.

• Lynsey
8 years 6 months ago #144647 by Lynsey
That sounds like a bloody brilliant idea, Foss.

Sarah, sounds like you have a couple of similar issues to me. Not least of all that they ignored my one bit of medical eveidence which was an educational psychology report as well.

I think they are talking an absolute load of mince saying it cant be taken into acccount.

Did you score anything in the reading descriptor at all? I can't see how they can say that they cant take this report into account when it comes to reading unless it says something different from your form.

In terms of your visual problems, is this a visual recall problem that you have? Because if so, like foss said, it would be linked with planning and following a journey. Or at least following a journey.

I think i might be of actual use here! Let me know if you need any help and I'll try.

• Lynsey
8 years 6 months ago #144648 by Lynsey
Sorry yet again i read this slightly wrong and you did say visual processing ...

Planning a route - your sequential processing would come into that category

Following a route - same as above plus your visual processing might come into that

Reading - i think you should definitely have socred something on that if your psychologist says your reading level is below average

Reading - if you have problems recognising signs your visual processing might come into that

Cooking and preparing a meal - sequential processing again might affect that

Communication - auditory processing might come into that (don't let them palm you off with 'oh but you are not deaf or speech impaired')

Reading - your sequential processing might come into that as well if you have problems reading instructions and carrying them out

Obviously some of all of these might not even apply but that should give you an idea.

More
8 years 6 months ago #144657 by Gordon
Hello all

It might be worth your reading the PIP Assessment guide to understand the approach that the assessor and to a considerable extent the Decision Maker will have made, it's in the PIP section.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

You don't have to agree with the approach that the Assessment guide takes, but you do need to address any of the issues that it raises.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Lynsey
8 years 6 months ago #144684 by Lynsey
Yeah the assessment guide was very good Gordon. It was very helpful.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris