× Members

ESA claim disallowed? after WCA

• Woosiewoo34
  • Topic Author
8 years 5 months ago #144645 by Woosiewoo34
ESA claim disallowed? after WCA was created by Woosiewoo34
:(
I had a call from DWP yesterday to inform me that I had failed my WCA and my benefits will stop immediately and I will have to now claim JSA.
Thing is I am still Technically employed. They are in the process of retiring me on health grounds. But apparently you can have 5 jobs but as long as I work less than 16 hours I can claim JSA?
So tomorrow I have to go to the JCP to have an interview. Even though I'm signed off work til Jan, and I've been signed off work for the past 15 months. I am waiting for my report to come through so I can see why I failed ESA and then I will appeal. Does claiming JSA go against me?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #144655 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA claim disallowed? after WCA

Woosiewoo34 wrote: :(
I had a call from DWP yesterday to inform me that I had failed my WCA and my benefits will stop immediately and I will have to now claim JSA.
Thing is I am still Technically employed. They are in the process of retiring me on health grounds. But apparently you can have 5 jobs but as long as I work less than 16 hours I can claim JSA?
So tomorrow I have to go to the JCP to have an interview. Even though I'm signed off work til Jan, and I've been signed off work for the past 15 months. I am waiting for my report to come through so I can see why I failed ESA and then I will appeal. Does claiming JSA go against me?

Claiming JSA will not go against you, even if it goes to appeal, they can only look at your health as it was at the time of the Decision, anything that you do after that cannot be considered, the downside to this is that if your health gets worse then that can't be considered either.

Have a look at ESA MR & Appeal guide on the following link

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

Just to be clear, if you do not need the money (it does happen :) ) then there is no legal requirement for you to claim JSA. If the Decision is not overturned at MR and you make an appeal then you can ask to be placed on the ESA Assessment rate once your request is accepted.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Woosiewoo34
  • Topic Author
8 years 5 months ago #144658 by Woosiewoo34
Replied by Woosiewoo34 on topic ESA claim disallowed? after WCA
Thanks Gordon.

Can I ask.. since the decision I have received a report from my spinal surgeon spelling out that I can no longer do my job or partake in any other duties due to my conditions. Can I submit this with my MR?

Thanks

More
8 years 5 months ago #144659 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA claim disallowed? after WCA
Yes, you can submit your letter - but you must make it clear that this applied at the time of the decision. Which should not be too difficult as that was not long ago.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woosiewoo34

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.