× Members

How to help someone who shouldn't be on JSA

More
8 years 6 months ago #144681 by LizP
I am very concerned about a Polish man in his 50s who I chat to in the local park. He had a severe head injury in 2013 with 5 months in hospital, and now has epilepsy, great difficulty with his speech and seems to have memory difficulties. He tells me he was turned down for ESA and his appeal was also turned down. He is on JSA attending the JC 3 x a week.

It is obvious to me that he should be on ESA and I would like to help him. But where would be the best place to start? With his GP, with his JC advisor? I don't want to offer to help if it is just giving him false hope, and having me meddling. It would be hard for him to access advice because of his communication difficulties.

Thanks Liz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #144691 by bro58

LizP wrote: I am very concerned about a Polish man in his 50s who I chat to in the local park. He had a severe head injury in 2013 with 5 months in hospital, and now has epilepsy, great difficulty with his speech and seems to have memory difficulties. He tells me he was turned down for ESA and his appeal was also turned down. He is on JSA attending the JC 3 x a week.

It is obvious to me that he should be on ESA and I would like to help him. But where would be the best place to start? With his GP, with his JC advisor? I don't want to offer to help if it is just giving him false hope, and having me meddling. It would be hard for him to access advice because of his communication difficulties.

Thanks Liz

Hi LP,

There is nothing to stop him making a fresh claim for ESA if he can obtain a fit note from his G.P.

However, since 30/03/15 there are restrictions on whether he will receive payment of ESA for a "Repeat Claim" after previously being found "fit for work"

See my post : Here. for further detail.

There is also the possibility of him making a PIP claim :

PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link down the page)

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris