× Members

PIP Decision

More
8 years 5 months ago #144898 by Ping12
PIP Decision was created by Ping12
Hi,

I had a home assessment for PIP recently and have received the decision letter saying that I have scored 0 points in all categories.

Without going into too much detail, I have several conditions which affect my daily living, and filled in the relevant sections of the form using the excellent guidance offered on this site. During the consultation, at no time was I asked about what I had written in regards to my care needs, and the assessment solely consisted of some movement tests and some questions about my mobility.

In the decision letter, it says that the result was based on informal observations and an examination of the evidence provided. However the majority of the evidence I wrote about the difficulties I have on a day to day basis was never discussed. I was also made aware that my doctors and consultants had supplied letters that gave supporting evidence for the numerous conditions that I have. The decision letter did say that it recognises that I have a debilitating condition, but says that I do not meet the criteria for PIP support.

So without having actually spoken to me about what I had written, I am at a loss as to how such a decision could have been reached, and I am certainly going to request a reconsideration.

When making such a request, is it worth mentioning that the assessor on the day never went through the majority of the various categories on the form with me, and so was never able to clarify the level of support that I may require?

Also, would I just formally request a consideration by letter firstly, and then follow up with any further evidence that I may have, or is it best to do it all in the same letter?

Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #144901 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Decision
Stevie

Welcome to the forum.

The first stage to challenging a Decision is for you to request a Mandatory Reconsideration, this needs to be done in writing to the DWP, within one month of the Decision, to the office that dealt with your claim, have a look at our PIP MR & Appeal guide for details of the process and template letters that you can use to make the request with.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

You can tell the DWP in your MR request that you will be submitting further information later, they should give you four weeks to do this, but if you can submit it earlier then that would be better.

You should contact the DWP for a copy of the assessment report if you have not already done so, I would phone them but again follow up the request in writing. Once you have the assessment report you will have a better understanding of how the DWP Decision Maker has come to their conclusions and will then be able to argue against them.

Your primary task is to show that you meet the criteria, there are many reasons you may have failed, you need to address each of these but don't get bogged down in criticising the assessment report unless you can clearly show that it is incorrect, it is a lot easier to argue the facts of the situation;

"the assessor recorded that I walked 50m, I did but they have failed to document that I had to stop every 10m for a rest due to breathlessness"

than their opinions

"based on my observations of the claimant walking I believe that they can reliably walk more than 200m.

When you have a better idea of the issues with your claim, come back to the forum and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 4 months ago #146025 by Ping12
Replied by Ping12 on topic PIP Decision
Thanks for the information.

I have sent a letter requesting a Mandatory Reconsideration and a copy of the assessment report.

Could you please clarify if I have only 4 weeks from the date of the award letter to send any further information in regards to my MR? Or can I wait until I receive a copy of my report?

Cheers.

More
8 years 4 months ago #146028 by Gordon

Stevie wrote: Thanks for the information.

I have sent a letter requesting a Mandatory Reconsideration and a copy of the assessment report.

Could you please clarify if I have only 4 weeks from the date of the award letter to send any further information in regards to my MR? Or can I wait until I receive a copy of my report?

Cheers.

It's four weeks from the date on your letter requesting the MR, although if you can send it in sooner then that would be better as it can take some time for post to get to the right DWP department and we have seen several members receive the Revision Letter before their additional evidence has reached the DM.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 4 months ago #146171 by Ping12
Replied by Ping12 on topic PIP Decision
I too have now received a revision letter saying that they have already reviewed the decision and that there is no change, despite me not having sent in my response to the original decision and having not received a copy of the assessment report as I requested.

This is in the time frame of just over 1 week since I sent in my MR request.

Do you know if I am able to challenge this, so that I am able to send in my supporting information that I was going to use to challenge the MR, or is it now too late?

Cheers.

More
8 years 4 months ago #146180 by Gordon

Stevie wrote: I too have now received a revision letter saying that they have already reviewed the decision and that there is no change, despite me not having sent in my response to the original decision and having not received a copy of the assessment report as I requested.

This is in the time frame of just over 1 week since I sent in my MR request.

Do you know if I am able to challenge this, so that I am able to send in my supporting information that I was going to use to challenge the MR, or is it now too late?

Cheers.

This seems to be happening quite regularly, you have two options; request a second MR on the basis that they did not wait for the additional information or go straight to appeal, revision rates at MR are low and even lower if you have completed the form in detail and provided evidence to support your claim.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.