× Members

Why isn't cfs in the DLA list of Child Conditions?

More
8 years 5 months ago #145766 by funmum
I was looking at the list to see what the DLA starting point for cfs was, so I could make sure to carefully address any particularly obvious sticking points. But I can't see it in the list.

Why is this and what is the significance to my claim of it not being included in the childrens list?

Will they work from the adult list instead, my child is 15yrs.

I found it in the adult list and their "starting" point was a bit worrying as it presumes people are capable of things that my son is not (eg rarely cognitive impairment - I thought this was a standard and fairly common symptom called brain fog, rarely needs help with self care).

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #145813 by funmum
Could someone please point me to cfs or m.e. in the DLAs guide of children's conditions as I cannot find it in there. If it isn't listed then what do they do, use the adult guide?

• bro58
8 years 4 months ago #145835 by bro58

funmum wrote: Could someone please point me to cfs or m.e. in the DLAs guide of children's conditions as I cannot find it in there. If it isn't listed then what do they do, use the adult guide?

Hi fm,

I am not sure that the site has the information that you are requesting.

All our DLA Resources are on This page.

I do know that as with DLA for adults, it is the limitations and care needs suffered as a result of the medical condition that may or may not result in an award rather than the condition itself.

So once you have provided confirmation of their medical conditions, you should then concentrate of giving details of their resulting limitations.

The difference with a "child" DLA claim is that they will be assessed in comparison to the care and mobility limitations to a comparable child of the same age, etc.

You might find information from the following links of further help :

DR UK DLA for Under 16 Year Olds

DM Guide DLA & AA

www.actionforme.org.uk/resources/questions-and-answers/

www.meassociation.org.uk/

bro58

More
8 years 4 months ago #145851 by funmum
Yes, its the document called a-z of medical conditions for children on the sites member pages for DLA. I was going to find out what the DWP believes about cfs in children, and ensure that I am careful to address these points.

But I could not find cfs when I searched the 500 page doc.

More
8 years 4 months ago #145852 by Gordon

funmum wrote: Yes, its the document called a-z of medical conditions for children on the sites member pages for DLA. I was going to find out what the DWP believes about cfs in children, and ensure that I am careful to address these points.

But I could not find cfs when I searched the 500 page doc.

There's nothing to stop you including your own details of how a child might be effected by ME/CFS.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.