× Members

Earning more than Higher Limit on ESA

• Marjaan
  • Topic Author
8 years 4 months ago #145945 by Marjaan
Earning more than Higher Limit on ESA was created by Marjaan
Hi everyone
I've been on ESA for nearly 6 months- the assessment was cancelled due to over-booking?! so I'm waiting for another appointment.

In the meantime, I've received an offer to work way under the 16 hours but the pay is around £8000 over a 9 month period(I know I'm lucky!). Do I divide the earnings by 52 weeks or less? Either way the weekly amount seems higher than the higher permitted limit- I think as I don't know how to take NI contributions and tax into consideration.

Will I be kicked off ESA if I accept the work(obviously I'd declare it)? And if not, will only the excess (above the permitted limit) be the amount that has an impact on my housing and council tax benefit?

What organisation can help me with this decision?

thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #145949 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Earning more than Higher Limit on ESA

Marjaan wrote: Hi everyone
I've been on ESA for nearly 6 months- the assessment was cancelled due to over-booking?! so I'm waiting for another appointment.

In the meantime, I've received an offer to work way under the 16 hours but the pay is around £8000 over a 9 month period(I know I'm lucky!). Do I divide the earnings by 52 weeks or less? Either way the weekly amount seems higher than the higher permitted limit- I think as I don't know how to take NI contributions and tax into consideration.

Will I be kicked off ESA if I accept the work(obviously I'd declare it)? And if not, will only the excess (above the permitted limit) be the amount that has an impact on my housing and council tax benefit?

What organisation can help me with this decision?

thanks in advance

If it is nine months work then you would have to use this as the period to calculate a weekly rate.

The law is black and white on this issue, you cannot earn over the Higher Limit and receive ESA. Housing and Council Tax is calculated separately from ESA so it will be the weekly amount that is considered.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marjaan

• Marjaan
  • Topic Author
8 years 4 months ago #146016 by Marjaan
Replied by Marjaan on topic Earning more than Higher Limit on ESA
thank you very much!!
M

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.