× Members

PIP assessment report - won't arrive in time

• MyHipsHurt
  • Topic Author
8 years 5 months ago #146282 by MyHipsHurt
I've asked for a copy of my pip assessment report after receiving my pip decision letter. I'm down to standard mobility from DLA higher rate mobility, so I'm losing my car. I'm going away next week for three weeks so I don't think the copy of the report will arrive in time for me to ask for a reconsideration as I won't have all the facts in front of me.

My main concern with the Decision Makers Reasoning is that s/he states that 'the musculoskeletal overview showed reduced spinal flexion with normal power in both legs.' However the assessor did not do any kind of 'tests' with my legs or back because she knew from my medical history that would be impossible - she said so at the meeting and that she would not 'put me through that'. All I was asked to do were some movements with my arms and hands. So I'm obviously wondering what on earth s/he put in the report regarding my back and legs.

My question is what do I do now if I want to challenge the decision as I'm not back home until the 7th January and the decision letter was dated 4th December. Does it matter that I will be challenging it after one month?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• foss27
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #146289 by foss27
As long as you have requested the appeal within the 28 days you can submit evidence up til the actual decision maker deals with the MR.
You should write in confirming the request for MR, confirming you need the report before you can file additional evidence and state that you will be away for the dates mentioned.
As it is Xmas and new year you may find you have plenty of time to make your submission.
Just to be aware, in the vast majority of cases the MR just rubberstamps the decision automatically so you may find the appeal proper is your first real chance to state your case fairly.
Obviously the reduction in mobility allowance must mean they think you can walk more than 20 metres taking into account the reliability test. The decision maker must show the amount of points you actually got so you can relate that to how far they say you can walk as points equal distance. This should give you a starting point for your appeal submission.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by foss27.

• Lynsey
8 years 5 months ago #146291 by Lynsey
They are unlikely to bother sending you the report right away. Did you ask for it in writing? They can say they have no record of you phoning for it if this is how you asked for it. Under the data protection act it states you have to put it in writing and they have to respond within 20 days of the date they received the letter plus time for postage - I estimate this to be 27 days after you send a recorded delivery letter.

It's absolute balls.

But like Foss has already said they usually dont overturn anyone's decision at MR.

More
8 years 5 months ago #146341 by Linz
We were n the same situation. My husband has a Motability car & I phoned the DWP on the number supplied on the first PIP letter. I explained we needed to know the result of the report as the car might need to be returned. Have to say they were very good & sent it urgently, arrived two days later & two weeks before the decision letter, which was high rate mobility. But it meant that we knew the scores & ceased to worry as 12 points for the mobility.
It is worth phoning them, explaining abut the car & asking for the report asap.
Unlike many posting I have to say they have been fine at sending copies of reports & me phoning nearly every day!
It is worth a try & Good Luck

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.