× Members

CONFUSED

More
8 years 5 months ago #146349 by tigrine
CONFUSED was created by tigrine
Hi, I'm 66 and disabled with rheumatoid arthritis which is every were in my body, asthma and copd. I've been getting DLA since 1998 and a few years ago I was told I would be getting it till I think I was 70. I was told I wouldn't have to reapply because it was obvious that there was never going to be an improvement. I contacted the forum about a year or so when all these changes were announced because I was terrified I'd lose my benefit and for me it would be the worst thing to happen, my pension is all that great. I was told not to worry that I was safe.

Today I got a letter from DLA telling me my benefit is going to stop on the 6th of Jan, 2016 and if I want to keep receiving it I have to apply for PIP. My birth date is 9/5/1949 . I was under the impression only those who were of working age were subjected to this dreadful nightmare. Ages ago I did a lot of checking just to be absolutely sure I wouldn't be affected. I'm sitting here in tears worried sick as to what will happen and what I will do. I'm on antidepressants as it is along with two types of painkillers. I've informed my Son but haven't heard back as yet. I don't work and haven't done for a very long time. If this is true how can we pensioners who are disabled supposed to cope? I rely heavily on my benefit for simple things . Please help me as I have no idea as to what to do. There is no way on this earth that I can attend any medical unless it's by my own GP and I'm worried sick how all this is going to affect my health both physical and mental. My mental state is fine but the stress most certainly help. Please help.
Donna

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #146352 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic CONFUSED
tigrine

Welcome to the forum.

The phrase "working age" has often been used in regard to the transfer to PIP but the reality is that it is not relevant at all, the PIP legislation identifies those who will be transferred as anybody in receipt of DLA who was under the age of 65 on 8 April 2013.

The criteria for PIP is very different from DLA as is the assessment process, I would recommend that you have a look at our PIP Claim guide, which will explain the process in more detail and the criteria for an award.

If you have any further questions then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 5 months ago #146354 by tigrine
Replied by tigrine on topic CONFUSED
Thank you, I'll have a look at the guide but my Son will have to explain it to me, I'm just to upset. I will most certainly come back if I need help.
Donna

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #146361 by Rocket
Replied by Rocket on topic CONFUSED

tigrine wrote: Hi, I'm 66 and disabled with rheumatoid arthritis which is every were in my body, asthma and copd. I've been getting DLA since 1998 and a few years ago I was told I would be getting it till I think I was 70. I was told I wouldn't have to reapply because it was obvious that there was never going to be an improvement. I contacted the forum about a year or so when all these changes were announced because I was terrified I'd lose my benefit and for me it would be the worst thing to happen, my pension is all that great. I was told not to worry that I was safe.

Today I got a letter from DLA telling me my benefit is going to stop on the 6th of Jan, 2016 and if I want to keep receiving it I have to apply for PIP. My birth date is 9/5/1949 . I was under the impression only those who were of working age were subjected to this dreadful nightmare. Ages ago I did a lot of checking just to be absolutely sure I wouldn't be affected. I'm sitting here in tears worried sick as to what will happen and what I will do. I'm on antidepressants as it is along with two types of painkillers. I've informed my Son but haven't heard back as yet. I don't work and haven't done for a very long time. If this is true how can we pensioners who are disabled supposed to cope? I rely heavily on my benefit for simple things . Please help me as I have no idea as to what to do. There is no way on this earth that I can attend any medical unless it's by my own GP and I'm worried sick how all this is going to affect my health both physical and mental. My mental state is fine but the stress most certainly help. Please help.
Donna

At 66 you should at retiring age. As a pensioner you don't claim PIP anymore but you should be able to claim Attendace Allowence which is the same sort of thing.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Gordon.

More
8 years 5 months ago #146369 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic CONFUSED

Ronnie wrote: At 66 you should at retiring age. As a pensioner you don't claim PIP anymore but you should be able to claim Attendace Allowence which is the same sort of thing.

I'm sorry but this is incorrect, all DLA claimants who were under the age of 65 on 8 April 2013 will be transferred to PIP even if they are over the age of 65 when the invitation is made.

See the following for more details.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?view=topic&catid=10&id=105719

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rocket

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.