× Members

PIP Q2b - Medication

More
8 years 3 months ago #148922 by bmeenan
PIP Q2b - Medication was created by bmeenan
Hi Mods,

I've drafted a response to this question based on what the question asks and the advice in the BW Guide.

I'm not sure though if to include the strength of medication, just thought of this after seeing a topic earlier today re steroids and rheumatoid arthritis?

I know it will do no harm to include it in the answer, just wondered if you had an opinion that you could share?

Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #148923 by shelam
Replied by shelam on topic PIP Q2b - Medication
Hi Barney 15

If you've included all the medications you are taking for RA then there isn't much to be gained from not including the strength of those medications. Medication is adjusted according to weight/age/other medical conditions/other medications, and the decision maker should be aware that such medications are very much adjustable according to all these variables.There is no set rule as to dosage/combination of medications. Your rheumatologist decides this; the decision maker will be aware of this.

If you mean does the actual strength of the medication indicate the severity of the RA, well, you would have to ask your Rheumy about this ;I have RA myself; and I imagine we both know the answer to that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bmeenan

More
8 years 1 week ago #156832 by bmeenan
Replied by bmeenan on topic PIP Q
Hi, I was wondering if there is any advice regarding a home assessment that's looming, particularly in respect of the "how far can you walk" type question?

My wife has many medical issues and was offered a Home Assessment due to her recent illness, which we accepted.

My wife's medical issues also fluctuate greatly from one day to another, one day she may walk with my assistance upto 50m, others, she is out of breath walking to the car, it really is unpredictable.

On the day of the assessment, how do we convey this to the Assessor if my wife appears to be fine in order that we ensure it is documented correctly? Do they ignore what has been put into the original PIP form and purely base their answer on what they see?

Many thanks

More
8 years 1 week ago #156838 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Q

barney15 wrote: Hi, I was wondering if there is any advice regarding a home assessment that's looming, particularly in respect of the "how far can you walk" type question?

My wife has many medical issues and was offered a Home Assessment due to her recent illness, which we accepted.

My wife's medical issues also fluctuate greatly from one day to another, one day she may walk with my assistance upto 50m, others, she is out of breath walking to the car, it really is unpredictable.

On the day of the assessment, how do we convey this to the Assessor if my wife appears to be fine in order that we ensure it is documented correctly? Do they ignore what has been put into the original PIP form and purely base their answer on what they see?

Many thanks

All of the PIP activities must be completed "reliably" and for "the majority of days" not to score points, these are discussed in more detail in the PIP Claim guide. See

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

So your wife needs to explain what she can do when she is at her worst, how she is most of the time and how she is at her best. She needs to be very clear about the how long, over a week or a month, that she has each level of capability.

One thing in particular to be aware of. We have heard of assessors asking about how long a claimant can walk for, knowing the time a claimant can walk for and a basic understanding of walking speeds allows them to calculate the distance that can be walked, even someone walking very slowly would likely cover 20m in a minute.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 5 days ago #157186 by bmeenan
Replied by bmeenan on topic PIP Q
Thanks Gordon, much appreciated.

Just reviewing the paperwork for the home visit and starting to collate even more clinical letters referring to my wife's various disabilities and have noticed that there is a new condition which has been diagnosed since submitting the original form a few months ago. This will add further weight to answers already given to several of the questions and actually makes her responses even worse.

Can we request that this is included as part of the review as technically, the review has not been completed yet?

Thanks again.
(sorry I suspect this may have been answered previously in other posts but I couldn't find anything)

More
8 years 3 days ago #157240 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Q

barney15 wrote: Thanks Gordon, much appreciated.

Just reviewing the paperwork for the home visit and starting to collate even more clinical letters referring to my wife's various disabilities and have noticed that there is a new condition which has been diagnosed since submitting the original form a few months ago. This will add further weight to answers already given to several of the questions and actually makes her responses even worse.

Can we request that this is included as part of the review as technically, the review has not been completed yet?

Thanks again.
(sorry I suspect this may have been answered previously in other posts but I couldn't find anything)

You can continue to submit information up to and including the day of the assessment.

If there is a week or more to the appointment then send a copy to the Assessment Provider.

Even if you send it, take a copy to the appointment and ask the assessor to read the content before they start with the interview.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.