× Members

Form PW1

More
8 years 3 months ago #149158 by Elston
Form PW1 was created by Elston
Hello, I'm looking for advice regarding permitted work. My son is currently on ESA (Support Group). He suffers from OCD and anxiety. As his condition has improved, he has been doing some voluntary work for a charity who care for adults with learning disabilities. In the main, this has gone well and has been beneficial to him. He now has the opportunity to register with the charity for 'bank work'. This would be paid work (unsupported) on an 'as and when' basis. With the volunteering, things have been quite flexible as regards starting times etc and he has not been under any real pressure. Obviously, the bank work will be more demanding and rigid in terms of starting times and so on and really it is very much a case of seeing how he copes.

He sees this opportunity as a possible way back into paid work but is under no illusions that it will be demanding for him. I understand he will have to contact the DWP for a form PW1 as this appears not to be available for download, although I have had sight of the form online. There is very little space on the form to give details of the work, or your reasons for wishing to do it, but I wondered if he should make a point of stressing that he is doing the work to see if he can cope with it and will have to see how it goes. Obviously, there is a concern that the DWP see him doing paid work, however infrequently, and decide he is better and able to come off ESA.

I would be glad of any advice from anybody who has been in a similar situation.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #149192 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Form PW1
Elston

Anybody on ESA considering doing some work, voluntary or paid, needs to reconcile what they will be asked to do against the limitations that result from their conditions, if they are happy that there is no issue then there shouldn't be problem with them doing it.

Starting Permitted Work is not in itself reason for an re-assessment to be triggered.

To be clear, his current SG award cannot be removed without an assessment being done.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elston

More
8 years 2 months ago #152784 by Elston
Replied by Elston on topic Form PW1
Hello,
Further to my last post and Gordon's helpful reply, my son has now done some initial training for the bank work, although it could be some weeks before he is able to actually commence the work. Unfortunately, with perfect timing, an ESA50 has just popped through the letter box. This has caused him some anxiety as he was hoping to complete the PW1 and do some bank work, to see how he coped, in the knowledge that as long as his earnings/hours were within the permitted limits, he would still have the comfort of his benefit in case things didn't work out.

He is now concerned that if he starts the bank work (and obviously he will have to mention this on the ESA50) he will be re-assessed as fit for work, or at the very least transferred to the WRAG. Until he actually commences the work, there is no way of knowing how he will cope. Although much better than he was at the time of his last assessment, he still suffers from anxiety and depression, finds it difficult to get somewhere on time as it is hard for him to start to get ready until the last minute and he is still on medication.

I would be grateful for any guidance as to what he should actually say on his ESA50 regarding the possible bank work and if his fears of being re-assessed as fit for work/transferred to the WRAG as a result of attempting this work are realistic.

Thank you.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #152794 by Gordon
Elston

The issue is not so much his documenting the bank work on the ESA50, but rather the DWP and the assessor taking it into account as part of the assessment, there will be assumptions made if he is doing Permitted Work as to his capabilities, as an example if a claimant has Social Anxiety and were to do the sort of work that your son is intending then there would be questions about the degree to which they are limited by the anxiety.

If he is likely to start PW before a Decision is made on his claim, then my best advice would be for him to explain how is going to be able to mange the PW within limitations in the ESA50, rather than allowing those assessing him to make their own assumptions.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elston

More
8 years 2 months ago #152804 by Elston
Replied by Elston on topic Form PW1
Thank you again Gordon,

It is quite possible that he will start the PW before a decision is made and from what you say, I think I am right in assuming that he needs to stress in the ESA50 that in undertaking the work he is very much seeing how things go. Quite simply, until he does the work, there is no way of knowing if he will manage it. As mentioned, he has done voluntary work for a few hours at a time, but has been under no real time pressures and start times have been later in the day, which he finds easier.

Elston

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #152832 by Gordon

Elston wrote: Thank you again Gordon,

It is quite possible that he will start the PW before a decision is made and from what you say, I think I am right in assuming that he needs to stress in the ESA50 that in undertaking the work he is very much seeing how things go. Quite simply, until he does the work, there is no way of knowing if he will manage it. As mentioned, he has done voluntary work for a few hours at a time, but has been under no real time pressures and start times have been later in the day, which he finds easier.

Elston

I'm afraid I think you have misunderstood me.

This is not about him seeing how things go! He will be assessed in regard to his limitations, his doing the PW potentially suggests that he does not have any or that they are not as severe as they have been, this could not only threaten his current award it could mean that he receives no award at all.

On the assumption that he still meets the criteria for the Support Group then he needs to explain how this is the case despite his doing PW.

Gordon

Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.