× Members

Pip assesment for my husband

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #149761 by mrsoptic
Pip assesment for my husband was created by mrsoptic
My husband suffers from severe anxiety and depression and has a diagnosis of cyclothymia and is also currently being investigated for bi polar. He had to retire from work on the grounds of ill health 3 years ago and hasnt tried to claim PIP before as we didnt think he would be eligible really. We have a joint claim of ESA (support group) due to my own phyical disabilities as I have been disabled from the age of 9 (now 30)

We have applied for PIP as advised by numerous consultants and doctors and even though we have requested a home visit for him as he cant leave the house and we also have difficulties with my own issues and going out, they still have called him for a face to face assessment next week. He is completely freaking out about the idea of going out as he cant even leave the house to visit his own mother never mind go some place he's never been before. I filled in the forms myself with him as i have had plenty of years of going through the DWP and we answered their own questions using the points system and provided consultant letters and a 4 page very detailed letter detailing his conditions and how it affects daily life on the questions they were asking about. we had to attach several pieces of paper also as those boxes are never big enough if you want to provide any detail on the form. We detailed that he wasn't able to go out at will,when he wanted to or as often as he wanted to without server stress and panic attacks because etc but still they have called him for an assessment? Is this normal? I have never been asked to attend a assessment in my 21 years of having to claim DLA/incapsity/ESA although that might change as I'm set to transfer shortly when that horrid brown letter hits the doormat!

Can anyone provide any information at all that they can suggest we do or don't do at the interview? We obviously don't want to fake anything but my husband cant usually deal with going out or speaking to people at all. Since we had the letter he hasn't slept hardly and he's seriously considering quitting the claim altogether as its too much for him to handle at the moment having also just lost his father. I usually have to talk for my husband when we do doctors appointments etc but we have been advised that CAPITA will use my answers? I'm not sure how true this is?

Sorry for the long post but its just worrying us sick really and we would just appreciate any help or advise on these assessments
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #149789 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Pip assesment for my husband
mrsoptic

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

OK, the first thing is that you may still be able to arrange a home assessment, but you will need your GP to write a letter to Capita explaining why he is unable to attend.

Have a look at our PIP Claim guide in the following link, there is a section towards the back that covers the assessment and the questions your husband is likely to be asked. You might also want to have a look at the section covering the questions, this will give you a better understanding of the criteria against which your husband is being assessed, the PIP2 is at best a poor précis of the actual legal definitions.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

The assessor will direct their questions to your husband, you may be able to add content but you should be careful not to be pushy about answering as they may decide that they cannot continue with the assessment. It might help if you explain your husband's problems with communicating with people he does not know at the beginning of the interview and see what they say.

If you have any more questions then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 2 months ago #149796 by mrsoptic
Replied by mrsoptic on topic Pip assesment for my husband
Thanks for the reply. I will have a good read through and study the guide. I have just phoned CAPITA for about the 3rd time since friday and they have put forward a referral for a home visit but its not a sure thing he will get one apparently. We have got to ring on thursday again to see if its been locked into a home visit or if he still has to go the clinic next week or not. We just want it over with really now. Dreading doing this all again this year for myself. Think a letter to the local MP is called for.

More
8 years 2 months ago #151561 by mrsoptic
Sadly we didn't get our home assessment even though we provided letters to the DWP and CAPITA stating my husbands difficulties going out with his social anxiety. We went to the assessment and i think my husbands managed a couple of words but didn't even make eye contact with the assessor. We felt the HP was very sincere but how much of this remains to be seen. We are now 2 weeks on and having phoned the DWP for an update and to request a copy of the report they have said they haven't received it yet? We were given CAPITA's number to chase it up and they have said it was sent on 15th feb but still they haven't got any record of it at DWP. What happens in these cases? the DWP said they would raise it with a case manager and ring us back in the next 24 hours about it but it seems odd they have apparently not received the electronic report or the hard copy that's also been sent? My husbands stressing about all this now as he's worried he will have to go through the whole ordeal of an assessment all over again.

More
8 years 2 months ago #151600 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Pip assesment for my husband
mrsoptic

The assessors are usually pretty good at writing up and sending the reports to the DWP, so I'm not surprised that they have sent it on the 15th. As we understand it they are sent electronically so there should be no issue with the DWP's internal mail.

I would wait for the call back to see what they say.

If the report is sent electronically I would have thought that they could just print another copy.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: mrsoptic

More
8 years 2 months ago #151714 by mrsoptic
That's what DWP said when I spoke to them. They said they are usually sent the same day and electronically. Capita said they send a hard copy also via carrier ? Either way DWP have no record of the report but capita are putting a referral in for the report to be re sent to DWP. The phone call back from the claims manager never came either :/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.