× Members

Funding for getting back to work

More
8 years 3 months ago #149940 by 1048claire
Funding for getting back to work was created by 1048claire
My son is in receipt of ESA, and has been for almost two years. He now has been offered a job that he really wants to take. In order to be eligible for this job, he has to complete a training course which will cost him just over £300.00. Will the DWP pay for this training for him. (He can't afford it himself)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #149951 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Funding for getting back to work

Claire wrote: My son is in receipt of ESA, and has been for almost two years. He now has been offered a job that he really wants to take. In order to be eligible for this job, he has to complete a training course which will cost him just over £300.00. Will the DWP pay for this training for him. (He can't afford it himself)?

Hi C,

If your Son is serious about taking this job, and feels that he is capable of doing so, he should be aware that if it does not work out, there is a 12 week linking rule, where he can make a "rapid reclaim" for ESA if he leaves the job within 12 weeks of closing his ESA claim.

There are some potential pitfalls to this if he worked beyond the 12 weeks, but then had to stop working. In that he may not have enough NI Contributions for receipt of CB ESA if he made a totally fresh ESA claim.

That being the case, he should be financially assessed to see whether he could pass the means test for payment of IR ESA.

Regarding help with paying the £300, he could see if there was Disability Employment Adviser in his local JC Plus, they may be able to advise further about any available grants or loans.

Access to Work may be another option !

As an aside, has he looked into or thought about Permitted Work (PW) ?

Permitted Work

There is further guidance on PW available from the 4th link down : This Page

See also : Work for people living with disability or health conditions.

If he is to close his ESA Claim, it should be done formally in writing by sending a letter to the address of The Benefits Office/Centre on his most recent ESA letter :

Sending Documents to the DWP, ATOS, Capita or Maximus.

As ESA is paid fortnightly in arrears, there should be no problems regarding him having to pay any ESA that he has already received back to the DWP.

Whatever he decides, I hope it works out well for him !! :)

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by bro58.

More
8 years 3 months ago #150151 by 1048claire
Replied by 1048claire on topic Funding for getting back to work
Hi Bro 58,
Thank you so much for your advice. I'll be following up what you have advised.........watch this space. :)
Claire
The following user(s) said Thank You: bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris