× Members

Fit note requirements ESA decision being made

• Catherine Constantinou
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 3 months ago #150062 by Catherine Constantinou
Fit note requirements ESA decision being made was created by Catherine Constantinou
Dear Benefits and Work advisers
I will be applying for ESA soon. I understand that I will require a Fit Note for the duration of the decision making process, as well as an active fit note to make an application.

Should my GP give me a 1 month fit note, will I require a fit note at the beginning of every subsequent month?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #150076 by bro58

cc120 wrote: Dear Benefits and Work advisers
I will be applying for ESA soon. I understand that I will require a Fit Note for the duration of the decision making process, as well as an active fit note to make an application.

Should my GP give me a 1 month fit note, will I require a fit note at the beginning of every subsequent month?

Hi cc120,

Whilst also referring you back to the advice that we gave in your associated topic : Here , where it seems that we have already answered part of your query, it will be up to The G.P./Registered Medical Practitioner who issues the fit note.

However, your first and second Fit Notes cannot exceed 3 months duration each, a third and any other subsequent Fit Notes after that can be for 6 months or longer.

You should make a note of when your current Fit Note is due to end, and make sure that you consult your G.P. in good time to get a new Fit Note, so the current one doesn't run out.

DWP / G.P.'s don't mind a small overlap in the periods covered from one Fit Note to the next.

DWP do sometimes send you a reminder that your current Fit Note is due to expire, but I wouldn't rely on it.

Always try and photocopy your Fit Note and send the original to DWP ESA :

Sending Documents to the DWP.

You should continue to submit Fit Notes to The DWP until they tell you that it is no longer necessary.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by bro58.

• Catherine Constantinou
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #150437 by Catherine Constantinou
Replied by Catherine Constantinou on topic Fit note requirements ESA decision being made
Thank you bro58, so to clarify before I apply for ESA, I obtian a fit note (which could be of 1 month to 3 months duration). I send the orginal fit note with my completed application, making a copy. Before the fit not expires, I am to acquire another fit note from my GP, I make a copy, and send the original fit note to the same place I sent my ESA application. And continue to do this until I have my work assessment?

• bro58
8 years 2 months ago #150438 by bro58

cc120 wrote: Thank you bro58, so to clarify before I apply for ESA, I obtian a fit note (which could be of 1 month to 3 months duration). I send the orginal fit note with my completed application, making a copy. Before the fit not expires, I am to acquire another fit note from my GP, I make a copy, and send the original fit note to the same place I sent my ESA application. And continue to do this until I have my work assessment?

Hi cc120,

Yes, that's right !

The only slight correction that I need to point out is, your first two Fit Notes cannot be for longer than 3 months each, your third and any others after that, can be for 6 months or longer. You should continue to supply Fit Notes until after your WCA, and until you are told by DWP that you no longer have to submit them.

bro58

• Catherine Constantinou
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #150472 by Catherine Constantinou
Replied by Catherine Constantinou on topic Fit note requirements ESA decision being made
Thank you very much bro58.

• Catherine Constantinou
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #150518 by Catherine Constantinou
If the GP decides you are no longer unwell enough to receive ESA and refuses to give fit note, before ESA application is completed, what should one do?

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.