× Members

DRAX's PIP Queries Topic !

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #150099 by King_Drax_I
DRAX's PIP Queries Topic ! was created by King_Drax_I
Hi folks, I'm new to this stuff so just wondering on this fairly basic question on filling in my relative's form on their behalf.

My writing is terrible. I admit it ;) When filling in the PIP initial application form, I would greatly prefer to not have to write. Would the DWP accept the application if I type my responses?

There are two ways I would consider this: 1) Type out the document, print it and then physically paste it into the form; or b) Type, print, then append the page as a document at the end of the form, and reference in the form with 'See additional page 10' or whatever.

Personally if I were an assessor I'd much prefer being able to read the applicants' form....

----

And as an aside, I love how they call the assessors 'healthcare professionals'. I work in the healthcare sector (in the pharmaceutical industry), and I am a professional, so technically I am a 'healthcare professional', but no way would I be competent to do these assessments... Point is, they could call *anyone* a 'healthcare professional', even a secretary!
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #150105 by
Replied by on topic DRAX's PIP Queries Topic !

Drax wrote: Hi folks, I'm new to this stuff so just wondering on this fairly basic question on filling in my relative's form on their behalf.

My writing is terrible. I admit it ;) When filling in the PIP initial application form, I would greatly prefer to not have to write. Would the DWP accept the application if I type my responses?

There are two ways I would consider this: 1) Type out the document, print it and then physically paste it into the form; or b) Type, print, then append the page as a document at the end of the form, and reference in the form with 'See additional page 10' or whatever.

Personally if I were an assessor I'd much prefer being able to read the applicants' form....

----

And as an aside, I love how they call the assessors 'healthcare professionals'. I work in the healthcare sector (in the pharmaceutical industry), and I am a professional, so technically I am a 'healthcare professional', but no way would I be competent to do these assessments... Point is, they could call *anyone* a 'healthcare professional', even a secretary!

Hi D,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

As The PIP 2 Form that you receive through the post has a unique Barcode on it that directly ties the form to your individual PIP claim only that PIP 2 Form can be used and returned to the address provided.

So even though the PIP 2 Form that you receive through the post Must be the one returned, there is nothing to stop you referring to the PIP 2 Form, but typing your responses to the relevant questions on separate A4 sheets.

You should head each separate sheet with your Name, DOB, Date and NI Number and number each separate A4 1 of x, 2 of x, 3 of x, 4 of x, etc, etc, etc.

You can simply write in the space provided for each particular question in the PIP 2 Form, "See my response on separate added page number, 1 of x, 2 of x, 3 of x, etc, etc." (or words to that affect)

You can then attach the added A4 pages to the back of PIP 2 Form with your Barcode on it that arrived through the post, with Treasury Tags or something similar.

Remember, if you provide enough information with The PIP 2 Form, there may be no need for a face to face assessment.

You should use our : PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link down the page) whilst filling in the PIP 2 Form.

See also : PIP Self Test

How The PIP Points Scoring System Works.

&

This Post in our Spotlight Area at the top of The forum.

Sending Documents to the DWP, ATOS, Capita or Maximus.

You might want to Bookmark/Favourite this page in your Internet Browser. That way you can return to this topic easily to pose any further queries that you may have by replying to the topic.

bro58

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #150126 by King_Drax_I
Replied by King_Drax_I on topic DRAX's PIP Queries Topic !
Hi again

Your excellent PIP Guide quotes the definition of an 'Aid' as:

"“aid or appliance”-
(a) means any device which improves, provides or replaces your impaired physical or mental
function; and
(b) includes a prosthesis."

Please could someone clarify what is meant by a prosthesis?

For example, my relative sits on a bar stool to prepare her breakfast. Although the definition on the PIP form for Q3a mentions 'perching stool', how would that have a prosthesis? Or, my relative uses a wheelchair on bad days. How does this include a prosthesis? Or is it not an 'Aid'?

Sorry if this is a bit complicated. But I do like tight definitions!

8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #150128 by
Replied by on topic DRAX's PIP Queries Topic !

Drax wrote: Hi again

Your excellent PIP Guide quotes the definition of an 'Aid' as:

"“aid or appliance”-
(a) means any device which improves, provides or replaces your impaired physical or mental
function; and
(b) includes a prosthesis."

Please could someone clarify what is meant by a prosthesis?

For example, my relative sits on a bar stool to prepare her breakfast. Although the definition on the PIP form for Q3a mentions 'perching stool', how would that have a prosthesis? Or, my relative uses a wheelchair on bad days. How does this include a prosthesis? Or is it not an 'Aid'?

Sorry if this is a bit complicated. But I do like tight definitions!

Hi D,

"Aids" and "Appliances" come under different definitions !

"Aids" are devices that help the performance of a function, for example, walking sticks or spectacles.

"Appliances" are devices that provide or replace a missing function, for example artificial limbs, collecting devices (stomas) and wheelchairs.

In the case of "a prosthesis" that you quote, that would be artificial limbs, hands, etc, so that would come under "Appliances" !

A wheelchair would also be classed as an "Appliance" as it replaces a missing function, i.e The ability to "Walk" !!

Any type of stool that may be necessary to one carrying out an activity would be classed as an "Aid" as it helps with your performance of that activity.

Have a look at This Post from earlier on.

To be classed as Needing to use an Aid or Appliance to carry out an activity, and to receive points for doing so, you must show that you Need to use that Aid or Appliance to carry out the activity for "The Majority of Days"

bro58

More
8 years 2 months ago #150163 by King_Drax_I
Replied by King_Drax_I on topic DRAX's PIP Queries Topic !
The descriptors for Preparing Food say "e: Needs supervision or assistance to either
prepare or cook a simple meal; and f: Cannot prepare and cook food. My relative, for whom I am filling in the PIP form, can prepare food once per day (making a smoothie for breakfast) but she cannot cook at all because her unreliable strength levels means it is unsafe for her to handle hot items at the stove. Even then, even if it was safe (which it's not), she still can't stand up a the stove for long enough to cook anyway.

So does this mean that she cannot prepare and cook; is that what the descriptor means? She has to be able to do both prepare and cook in order to not qualify for level 'f'?

More
8 years 2 months ago #150168 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DRAX's PIP Queries Topic !
Drax

Yes there is a noticeable discrepancy in the wording between the other descriptors an (f), all you can do is argue your case.

At the moment there is no Case Law in this area (that I am aware of) so the best we can do is take the regular English understanding of the phrase, so I think it likely that the definition may be broader than for (b)-(e), however it does clearly state "prepare" and "cook" so your example of making a smoothie would not meet the requirements, as whilst there is preparation there is no cooking involved.

As a more general comment, you do need to explain why aids and appliances would not aid in the preparing and cooking of food, for example; a perching stool might allow them to remain at the hob for long enough to cook a meal and something like a slotted spoon would allow them to transfer hot food to a plate without the need to lift hot pans. If you don't address these you can be sure that the assessor will make assumptions.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: kate, King_Drax_I

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.