× Members

DLA to PIP almost 16 year old.

More
8 years 2 months ago #150573 by 1540
DLA to PIP almost 16 year old. was created by 1540
Hi, hope someone might be able to help and sorry for the long post but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed.

My son was awarded DLA lrc & lrm for 2 years which ends on his 16th birthday this summer.

He has severe anxiety, ocd, avoidance and low mood. 6 months ago his condition began to deteriorate, he was referred by his CBT psychologist to see a psychiatrist who has started him on medication, he is barely at school and is now also being assessed for ADD. He is currently awaiting a decision on a DLA review due to these changes.

A letter arrived today regarding claiming for PIP when he turns 16 and also to make a decision on whether to have an appointee.

It is my view that he would not cope without an appointee and he does not want to deal with this himself. Would mental health issues be an appropriate reason for him to have an appointee?

He barely copes with GP / CAMHS appointments, suffering anxiety and not wanting to attend, how would he cope with interviews etc and what would be expected of him?

In addition, I've heard horror stories of DLA to PIP claims being refused for mental health patients and have no idea how he would cope financially without this support. I am a single parent without any family support and have had to pretty much stop working over the last couple of years in order to care for my son.

It is causing us both so much worry, I really don't know where to go for support and guidance on these issues. I hope someone will be able to point us in the right direction.

thank you for reading......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #150577 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA to PIP almost 16 year old.

With regard the expected PIP claim, the best place to start is with our PIP Claim guide on the following link.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Two immediate things to be aware of; PIP has significantly different criteria than DLA and the assessment approach is also very different, secondly, your son will be assessed as an adult.

As to you continuing to have responsibility for your son's affairs, it is usual for the DWP to look at this when a child turns 16, the normal process is that the DWP will come and interview you and your son and then decide whether it is appropriate for you to become his appointee.

You might want to have a look at the following

www.gov.uk/become-appointee-for-someone-claiming-benefits

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/upl...art-05_Appointee.pdf

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.