× Members

ATOS PIP assessment

• Thumper Pie
  • Topic Author
8 years 2 months ago #150576 by Thumper Pie
ATOS PIP assessment was created by Thumper Pie
Just wanted people to know about my PIP assessment at an ATOS assessment centre on Monday. Don't want to say exactly where it was, but suffice to say it was different to what I expected.

I am visually impaired (reduced peripheral vision, night blindness but central vision not bad). I use a white cane frequently but not 100% of the time. I still work.

The HP (Health Professional) was very pleasant and friendly but I'm not sure if that was to put me off guard. It all seemed to go quite well, apart from the fact that I bumped into someone on the road outside when I was trying to find the door to go in (it wasn't obvious) and they also had glass coffee tables in the waiting room, which are a nightmare for someone like me (with my eyesight).

Then towards the end of the assessment (only took 35/40 minutes) I was asked to do a simple eye test which surprised me, especially as it's pointless. My issues aren't my visual acuity but my visual field, i.e. I can't see things to the side and below, especially in the dark or dim surroundings, and I bump into things and people. Anyone else had the same, been asked to do an eye test?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #150578 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ATOS PIP assessment

Thumper Pie wrote: Just wanted people to know about my PIP assessment at an ATOS assessment centre on Monday. Don't want to say exactly where it was, but suffice to say it was different to what I expected.

I am visually impaired (reduced peripheral vision, night blindness but central vision not bad). I use a white cane frequently but not 100% of the time. I still work.

The HP (Health Professional) was very pleasant and friendly but I'm not sure if that was to put me off guard. It all seemed to go quite well, apart from the fact that I bumped into someone on the road outside when I was trying to find the door to go in (it wasn't obvious) and they also had glass coffee tables in the waiting room, which are a nightmare for someone like me (with my eyesight).

Then towards the end of the assessment (only took 35/40 minutes) I was asked to do a simple eye test which surprised me, especially as it's pointless. My issues aren't my visual acuity but my visual field, i.e. I can't see things to the side and below, especially in the dark or dim surroundings, and I bump into things and people. Anyone else had the same, been asked to do an eye test?

Hi TP,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

I know that it is rather "after the fact" now, but you can read what to expect at a PIP Face To Face from around Page 69 of our : PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link down the page) if you haven't already done so !

You could also read through the latest version of : The PIP Assessment Guide which was updated on 28th July 2015 and gives guidance on how the Assessor should carry out the PIP Assessment.

The PIP Assessor will have compiled a PA4 Medical Report as a result of your Face to Face, and that will now be sent to DWP for The PIP Case Manager (DM) to make the final decision.

If you look further down the page accessible from the 2nd blue link down in my post above you will see that there is a link, 5th down where you can download a sample of a PA 4.

You could now give it a week or so then ring the PIP Helpline for an update :

Telephone: 0345 850 3322
Textphone: 0345 601 6677
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

Whilst on the phone you could also request a copy of your PA 4 Medical Report, some members have been able to obtain copy before receiving a decision whilst other have had to wait until after they have received the decision.

Good luck and please keep us updated ! :)

You might want to Bookmark/Favourite this page in your Internet Browser. That way you can return to this topic easily to pose any further queries that you may have by replying to the topic.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.