× Members

Esa mess up

• Catsinc
  • Topic Author
8 years 2 months ago #150749 by Catsinc
Esa mess up was created by Catsinc
A friend of mine put in a claim for esa in November but despite sending in sick notes when requested to do so they haven't been paid a penny. They eventually rang and asked why last week to be told they were a student. They are not and haven't been since 2014. They were told to send in evidence of this, which they are waiting on a letter from their last college. In the mean time they had their medical and failed.
Can someone please confirm if the money they should have been paid up until the medical is still owed to them? They're under the impression it is not owed, but surely had esa actually been paying them as they should have been they wouldn't then take all that money back.
We have no idea why they think they are a student.
Also is there a universal credit forum please? As if they move back to their parents they need to claim that and we're told last time they were entitled to zero benefits. Seems odd to me unless of course they thought they were a student then too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #150776 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Esa mess up
Catsinc

I would expect them to be paid the outstanding Assessment rate once the issue of their student status is resolved.

We not dealing with UC at the moment as it does not effect any of the benefits we normally advise on in the forum, but being considered a student would also be a reason for refusing UC.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Catsinc
  • Topic Author
8 years 2 months ago #150936 by Catsinc
Replied by Catsinc on topic Esa mess up
Thank you for replying. They have been told by someone at esa that they will not be paying any money owed until their appeal is heard and they win it. I'm not convinced that is correct as had they been getting the money esa would not be recovering it,and it amounts to the same thing. Any advice on what to do now please? Thanks

More
8 years 2 months ago #150949 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Esa mess up

Catsinc wrote: Thank you for replying. They have been told by someone at esa that they will not be paying any money owed until their appeal is heard and they win it. I'm not convinced that is correct as had they been getting the money esa would not be recovering it,and it amounts to the same thing. Any advice on what to do now please? Thanks

I can't see why this is a matter for appeal, either they are a student or they are not, however, the DWP will not make any payments until the matter is resolved. I note from your original post that they your friend was waiting for a letter from their former college, I would not expect the DWP to do anything until they receive a copy of this, so they need to chase this up.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.