× Members

So annoyed!

• kirsty
  • Topic Author
8 years 2 months ago #150780 by kirsty
So annoyed! was created by kirsty
I came home to a letter today and I was fuming- I asked for extra time on the phone and by letter so I could gather more evidence to send in before a mandatory reconsideration of my PIP application. I got a letter on 19/01 telling me I had to send in a sheet of the letter called 'your reply' and my extra evidence before 03/05 (3rd May!). However, the letter I got today says my application has already been reconsidered (0 points again) and my option now is to appeal. This comes 3 months before the deadline that they gave me and on the actual day that I received my extra evidence from my GP!

I phoned the helpline and the man said he can't comment on the rules that the decision maker has to follow and a case manager will phone me back within 24 hours (not holding my breath!). Is my only option appeal now, even though the reconsideration came well before the deadline which is surely not fair? I am annoyed at the cheek of it if nothing else!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #150791 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic So annoyed!

kirsty wrote: I came home to a letter today and I was fuming- I asked for extra time on the phone and by letter so I could gather more evidence to send in before a mandatory reconsideration of my PIP application. I got a letter on 19/01 telling me I had to send in a sheet of the letter called 'your reply' and my extra evidence before 03/05 (3rd May!). However, the letter I got today says my application has already been reconsidered (0 points again) and my option now is to appeal. This comes 3 months before the deadline that they gave me and on the actual day that I received my extra evidence from my GP!

I phoned the helpline and the man said he can't comment on the rules that the decision maker has to follow and a case manager will phone me back within 24 hours (not holding my breath!). Is my only option appeal now, even though the reconsideration came well before the deadline which is surely not fair? I am annoyed at the cheek of it if nothing else!

You can ask for a second MR, the DWP are not required to give you one, but they may, but you would need confirmation that they are still prepared to wait for this additional information.

Some things for you to consider;

I have never heard of the DWP giving a claimant three months to source additional information for an MR, the longest they normally allow is four weeks and this is usually taken from the date that the MR is requested. I'm wondering if the 03/05 date was made by someone without the authority to do so.

The revision rate at MR is extremely low and it usually only happens when the claimant provides evidence that fundamentally changes the view that the DWP have of the claim, does you evidence do this? If it merely supports what you have already said in your PIP2 then I think it less likely that it will result in a revision of the Decision.

Whilst it can take several months for an appeal to be heard, the panel will look at your claim from scratch, success rates at appeal are around 60%.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• kirsty
  • Topic Author
8 years 2 months ago #150795 by kirsty
Replied by kirsty on topic So annoyed!
Thank you for your reply. If the case manager does call I will ask for a second MR and see what they say as either the first MR or the letter was wrong, but that's their end not mine. They gave me almost 4 months from the date of the letter, which I did think was a long time, but I thought that might've been usual for people who ask for an extension. The letter just said 'Yours sincerely, office manager' at the end and I'm not sure if that's usual.

Put like that, my GPs letter does only support what I said in my application, but it's fundamental issues that I didn't have any evidence for before, so I thought at least I'd know I'd done my best by sending it in for MR even if I get declined again. The success rate for appeal does sound good, but the thought of the stress of the process coupled with my anxiety are making me want to give up :( (probably what the DWP want!)

More
8 years 2 months ago #150796 by Lpen80
Replied by Lpen80 on topic So annoyed!
I spoke to someone on the phone today as requested my MR over the telephone on the 3/2/16 , she took all
My details and what I didn't agree with and told me I had 21 days to provide further medical evidence as my doctors aren't happy with the atos report . I rang today to ask the exact date and was told it was one calendar month from the date of decision to provide further details . Don't know if that helps at all , it's such an awful process to go through , yet everyone you speak to at PIP tells you something different ! Good luck xx

More
8 years 2 months ago #150801 by Doris
Replied by Doris on topic So annoyed!
When I telephoned the DWP to request an extra few weeks to submit an MR, I was categorically told under no circumstance has the DWP ever awarded extra time to submit an MR.

It was one of those moments where you become your own child and retort with 'whatever' and forget the conversation happened to save your personal sanity.

• kirsty
  • Topic Author
8 years 2 months ago #150809 by kirsty
Replied by kirsty on topic So annoyed!
It sounds like then maybe it was it an error and the DWP didn't mean to give me until May, I did only ask them for an extra couple of weeks. I hope they will acknowledge it was their mistake though! What a pain, I can imagine there are lots of people who get fed up and abandon their applications.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.