× Members

ESA - Support Group to WRAG Challenge

More
8 years 2 months ago #150813 by ijgosling
ESA - Support Group to WRAG Challenge was created by ijgosling
My wife has various mental health issues, mainly one of poor memory following extensive electro convulsive therapy a couple of years ago following a complete breakdown. She also suffers from fibromyalgia and had previously attempted suicide.

Due to my wifes memory problems I am deemed an appointee and speak on her behalf and complete all documentation.

She take various powerful medications which also come with their own side effects.

All of this is fully documented in a letter from my wifes GP to the DWP.

My employer allows me to work from home 2 out of the 5 days a week so I can be at home for my wife.

Following an ESA medical just over a week ago, and whilst I was at work, my wife on a rare occasion picked up the house phone when it range and it was the local job centre requesting that she attend an interview the following morning, at this point we hadn't even been informed of the outcome of the ESA medical.

I was at work in Birmingham, some 150 miles from home, my wife called me totally distraught. I had to take time out of my work to call the job centre.

The lady on the other end of the phone wasn't aware of my wifes conditions, just that she had recieved an instruction to call my wife. I wasnt very happy and my wife felt she had been forced to say yes to the appointment. My wife does not like any form of confrontation.

I don't understand why the job centre are not armed with sufficient information to support their clients effectively.

I have managed to defer all such appointments after calls to the job centre and DWP and have requested a Mandatory Reconsideration.

I feel the disconnect in supplied client information could be extremely dangerous, the blatant disregard for a clients safety and the poor decision making of the DWP.

Goodness knows what would happen to someone managing this process on their own, they must despair and feel very lonely. Something has to be done.

Now I have to take time out of work to support my wife and work on the reconsideration.

Interestingly the person carrying out the medical assessment was under pressure, we had to wait an extra hour as an assessor had called in sick, the assessor was very abrupt and to the point and felt as though a decision had already been made.

These guys are making medical and clinical decisions on the basis of a single assessment???

How is it the assessor can read a lengthy list of medications the patient is taking, but disregards the fact that the medication must be having a positive effect on the patient, but the question should be "how would you be if you stopped taking the medication"

Completely stressed out having to manage this and look after my wife and retain my job.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #150822 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA - Support Group to WRAG Challenge
ijgosling

A quick question, you say that you are deemed your wife's appointee, are you her legal appointee or simply act on her behalf? If you are then you can make a complaint about the JC+ staff contacting her directly.

Complaining to the DWP

If you are not her legal appointee then you may want to look at becoming one, as the DWP can and will address all correspondence directly to her.

www.gov.uk/become-appointee-for-someone-claiming-benefits

Very little of a claimants medical information is held on the DWP computer system and the JC+ staff, as opposed to Benefit Centre staff, have no access to that which is so it is a common problem that they know nothing of the claimants problems.

One comment, that may just be down to what you have posted, ESA is not awarded due to the conditions that the claimant has, but the limitations that result, if you hope to have your wife moved to the Support Group then you will have to show that she meets one or more of the SG Descriptors! She will not be place in the SG because she is too ill to be in the WRAG!

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.