× Members

How Much Additional Medical Evidence

More
8 years 2 months ago #151761 by Leste
Hi Everyone

I acquired and paid for additional hospital medical evidence (under a SAR) for my husband who has applied for PIP, but had to submit halis PIP form before I managed to receive the medical evidence from the hospital, but I did explain in the additional information that I would let them know when I received this evidence.

In the meantime, my husband received the dreaded face-to-face appointment from ATOS for tomorrow (24 February 2016). Hospital Medical Evidence received Sunday 21st February 2016. Which includes over 3,000 pages of written/typed Medical Notes/Supporting Information/Consultants Medical Reports AND a CD Disk containing over 1,000 images from his numerous scans, Xrays etc.

Now, as I understand the Health Professional has to read ALL of the medical evidence submitted, in conjunction with the PIP Questionnaire before making a decision. But my question is will they consult ALL the supporting medical evidence provided?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #151764 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic How Much Additional Medical Evidence
Leste

Sorry, it's not clear from your post, are you saying that you have submitted 3000+ page of evidence as part of your husband's claim for PIP, albeit on CD?

If this is the case then I think it very unlikely that they will have read all of this information!

Did you provide any index to the information as I'm sure a significant percentage would not have been relevant to your husband's claim.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 2 months ago #151771 by Leste
Replied by Leste on topic How Much Additional Medical Evidence
I apologise if I didn't make myself clear.

The 3,000 pages received on Sunday 22nd February 2016 were all paper based medical records from his many hospital visits, (both inpatient and outpatient visits) results of the numerous tests performed etc. for the period 2008 to 2016, ALL of this paper medical evidence was pertinent to my husband's main disabilities (decompensated cirrhosis of the Liver and fractures of the tibia and fibula in both legs that were put back together with permenant metal plates and permenant screws) and the resullting and ongoing complications caused by these main disabilities and resulting complications.

The CD disk from Radiologhy (which contained over 1,000 images) was sent to my husband previously under separate cover, which I studied in detail and which confirms my husband's disabilities.

All of this relevant, supporting medical evidence I assure you that ALL of this information BOTH on disk AND paper-based are relevant to my husband's case only and not just general information.

More
8 years 2 months ago #151772 by Gordon
Leste

Please think again before submitting this amount of information in support of your husbands claim.

The most likely result of you doing so is that the DWP will simply ship it straight back to you unread. Even if you supplied an index and linked each page to your husbands limitations in regard to the PIP activities, they will not read it!

If you can't cut it down to a sensible amount you may end up harming his claim rather than helping it.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 2 months ago #151786 by Leste
Replied by Leste on topic How Much Additional Medical Evidence
Thank you Gordon for your speedy reply.

In answer to your reply, out of ALL the medical evidence in my possession, what would you consider to be a sensible amount of pages?

By restricting the amount of evidence you give, do you not then run the risk of leaving something out which is more important and that if the claim is rejected from the initial decision and the MR, and taken to a tribunal, would the tribunal then find that the additional medical evidence that I left out cannot be introduced at the tribunal stage?

More
8 years 2 months ago #151803 by Gordon

Leste wrote: Thank you Gordon for your speedy reply.

In answer to your reply, out of ALL the medical evidence in my possession, what would you consider to be a sensible amount of pages?

By restricting the amount of evidence you give, do you not then run the risk of leaving something out which is more important and that if the claim is rejected from the initial decision and the MR, and taken to a tribunal, would the tribunal then find that the additional medical evidence that I left out cannot be introduced at the tribunal stage?

OK the first thing you need to think about is that your husband is not being assessed on the basis of his conditions but rather the limitations that result from them and then only in the areas that PIP tests, so evidence that does not support those limitations is unlikely to be of value.

Secondly, your husband is being assessed on his problems as they are now, so the older the evidence the less likely it will carry any weight.

Repeating evidence is of no value, I'm not suggesting that you only send one report, although one with the right content would be enough, as an example; you mentioned your husband has problems with his legs, a handful of reports explain what has been done and the effect the operations have will be sufficient.

There is no need to send appointment letters and letters that simply confirm existing problems, just the original diagnosis and the latest letter.

You can send the CD of images, but unless the assessor is a doctor and not necessarily even then, I would be surprised if they have the skills to interpret them.

On a slightly different note; sending evidence and not relating it to what you are writing on the PIP2 makes it less likely that the evidence will be of value, you need to think about explain his problems in a format like the following.

Because of Condition A, confirmed by Evidence B on page C of the attached pages my husband has problems performing activity D.

I can't give you a figure for the right number of pages to send, each case is unique, some members have sent 100s of pages and some 10s of pages and been successful.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.