× Members

DWP fishing expedition?

More
8 years 2 months ago #152498 by Frank Sprules
DWP fishing expedition? was created by Frank Sprules
My partner, has just had in interview at the DWP. It is about 6 months from the award of PIP so we assumed it was a followup to see if there had been a miraculous cure, but no, it was with a compliance officer. Her first question was about the "over £8,000" we had in the bank. Our instant reaction was "8grand? chance would be a fine thing". She then did not seem able to find the documentation that she said she had and left the room to find it, coming back a few minutes later carrying a bit of paper which she did not show us. A few seconds later a security guard came in through a side door and handed her a bit of paper which we realised later was probably saying that all he heard was honest confusion.

We do have savings of a couple of thousand but nowhere near the amount mentioned and we said that if they let us near a computer we could show them. Luckily we had bought in printouts of both of our accounts which showed we had nowhere the amount they said at the dates they said. We realised afterwards that we should have asked to see any documentation that they had as a bank would not use an estimate of how much you had based on what interest you were getting as had been said.

We now realise that it was almost certainly a fishing expedition but we really did not like the feeling that we had to prove our innocence rather than the other way round.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alex

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #152510 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DWP fishing expedition?
Frank

The DWP get alerts from HMRC about interest paid against bank and savings accounts, given the number of times we have seen similar posts to yours, it's not the most reliable of systems.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank Sprules

More
8 years 2 months ago #152515 by Judy
Replied by Judy on topic DWP fishing expedition?
Someone I know had this exact same thing happen to them just last month, they have had the same interest give or take a couple of pounds for the last 10 years, only now they say the interest was flagged up by hrmc as them having ten grand in their account. Wbich has never been the case. How come it took this long to flag up the interest then. I smell a rat.

More
7 years 11 months ago #159004 by Alex
Replied by Alex on topic DWP fishing expedition?
It's a horrendous experience, an inquisition, it should be done in a different way.

More
7 years 11 months ago #159048 by ChrisB
Replied by ChrisB on topic DWP fishing expedition?
I didn't think PIP was means related, so what if you did have 8K in your account..

Have I missed something ?

More
7 years 11 months ago #159082 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DWP fishing expedition?

ChrisB wrote: I didn't think PIP was means related, so what if you did have 8K in your account..

Have I missed something ?

I would assume that the OP is receiving an Income Related benefit as well.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonlatetrainBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.