× Members

do the assessors ever actually listen????

More
8 years 1 month ago #152903 by maverick47
do the assessors ever actually listen???? was created by maverick47
I thought it might help people if i wrote about my recent run in with the whole DLA to PIP experiance.
my son has Aspergers Syndrome so i filled in the forms on his behalf and even got a phone call from our brilliant GP to say she had the form and wanted me to go in to discuss my son before she completed the form, we did talk in detail and obviously she returned the form. My son was called for an assessment on 16th jan this year and i really don't think these assessors are listening to what is said when you are talking to them - more rather watching and making thier own minds and opinions up!!

my son was awarded enhanced rate of care and low rate mobility - but when you read the report you wonder how he got awarded anything! please don't misunderstand me i am grateful he has been awarded as the thought of having to drag him through an appeal was scaring the hell out of me as getting him through the assessment was trial enough.

i stated quite clearly on the form and in the assessment that my son can not be in the kitchen it is dangerous for him and that unless you put food in front of him to eat he will not eat or drink yet on the report the assessor put "can make a simple meal with supervision" how did they come to that conclusion? i also put on the form and told the assessor that he can not go out alone and can not use public transport and has to be driven everywhere yet the assessor wrote "can make a familiar journey with supervision" again i fail to understand how they come to that conclusion. i told the assessor that whilst academically my son has no problems it is with everything else to do with life that scares the hell out of him!! because the assessment pulled my son from his usual routine and it involved taking him to a new place he was agitated before the assessment even begun and remained mute and uncooperative through the whole assessment so i did all the talking for him. when it came to finance i told them i take care of all my sons financial needs as he can not comprehend money and value yet they said "needs prompting or assistance from another person to make budgeting decisions" so how did they make that conclusion?

As i stated before that i am grateful that my son has his award but comparing what was actually said in the assessment with thier conclusions is baffling - the person and needs they are describing is not the son i know and love!!!

i think that what i want to say is that when using the guides (which are brilliant) and tips for an assessment (again brilliant) is do not give these people any grey areas in responses for them to manipulate against you. having read the report i am breathing a huge sigh of relief that i don't have to put my son through any appeal because i don't think he could have survived being pulled apart - but with the vultures that are circling to make life as difficult as possible for disabled people i would strongly recommend that a blunt NO to thier questions is the only sure way of not giving them an inch
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta, BarbW5, TheHud

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #152931 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic do the assessors ever actually listen????
Hi,

Welcome to Benefits and Work Forum :)

If your forum name is also your real name, you may wish to change it to maintain some anonymity.

This can be done quite easily by following the instructions in this FAQ :

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

Well done on obtaining the correct awards for your Son !!!! :cheer:

Yes, when reading some of these "Medical Reports" one can often wonder whether they are referring to you or someone else and "what planet" the assessor comes from !! :)

Thanks for the positive feedback regarding our guides, it is pleasing that you found them helpful ! :)

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by bro58.

• kacey
8 years 1 month ago #152965 by kacey
Replied by kacey on topic do the assessors ever actually listen????
Thank you for sharing your experience, I'm in a similar situation (DLA to PIP) having to apply for my son who has an acquired brain injury which has resulted in developmental delays (my son can do most of the questions asked but needs prompting, encouragement, assistance, supervision etc.), could you give any examples of the manipulation you experienced so I can try to avoid some of the pitfalls as I'm currently trying to fill in the PIP2 form, also did the assessor ask your son any direct questions and if so could you give some examples, really trying to get this right first time so I don't have to put him through any appeal process, thanks in advance x

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.