× Members

ESA Reassessment

More
8 years 4 months ago #147303 by Spridgett
ESA Reassessment was created by Spridgett
Hello Forum and a Happy New Year to one and all!

Unfortunately, my festive season was completely ruined by the arrival through my letterbox, on the 19th December, of my notice of reassessment for ESA and the dreaded questionnaire. It is now two years since I was migrated from IB to ESA, Support Group, following a successful appeal hearing, having originally been deemed "fit for work". I am now wading through this horrendous document, ably assisted (I hope!) this time by the excellent guides on this site, and I am hoping not to repeat my mistakes from last time.

I do, however, have three questions to pose to the experts on this Forum, if I may, please?

Firstly, having already provided the requested details of my GP's Surgery, I then move to the next section asking for details of other professionals, etc., who know the most about my health difficulties, etc. Although I intermittently see different medical professionals about my various medical problems, none has any idea of how my daily life is impacted by my health issues other than my GP, who has been with me throughout my last 30 years of medical hell, and is always happy to support me in my dealings with the DWP. That said, should I then put his name here or leave it blank?

My second question refers to the physical capabilities section asking about bladder and bowel control. To assist me with this, I have recently been issued with a commode to keep in my bedroom, next to my bed. I am wondering if I should mention this, or are the DWP liable to rationalise that it would be reasonable to have a commode immediately adjacent to any place of work?

Finally, will the Assessment Provider and Health Professional at Maximus have access to my previous questionnaires and face-to-face assessment reports when they review my current questionnaire? More importantly still, will the Decision Maker at the DWP also have access to this previous information, plus the previous appeal documents, when they come to consider my case? I am not sure whether I should refer to anything that has gone before when completing this new questionnaire.

Your answers to the above will prove to be very beneficial in my quest to get things right this time around and then I hope I will not need to bother you further.

Thank you very much.

Spridgett56

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #147313 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Reassessment
Spridgett

With regard the medical references, it's up to you but a couple of points. The reality is that it is unlikely that the DWP or Maximus will contact anybody on the list, so if you are relying on this happening you would be best advised to seek any letter or report yourself. Secondly, a bad or even inconclusive report can do more damage than no report at all.

I think you need to mention the commode as an aid that you require but I think that the DWP will struggle to show that your having one close to you at work would be a reasonable adjustment that any employer would make.

Although there is nothing stopping the assessor and Decision Maker accessing your previous records this almost never happens and you should not count on them doing so. Our advice is to treat this as a completely new claim and to provide any relevant evidence with the ESA50, even if this has been previously submitted or is related to your appeal.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 4 months ago #147318 by Spridgett
Replied by Spridgett on topic ESA Reassessment
Gordon,

Thank you for your prompt reply to my questions, the contents of which I am completely on board with. The long wait now begins.............

Thank you once again.

Spridgett

More
8 years 4 months ago #147329 by bennie
Replied by bennie on topic ESA Reassessment
Hi

I'm in a similar position with ESA reassessment and currently have a few questions

1. Is it better to get old letters of support which were included in previous ESA claim (two years ago) updated - although the ESA50 appears to suggest not to?
2. In my previous ESA claim I included one or two consultant letters though these were more along the lines of only describing treatment and condition: should I be getting these updated and ask my consultant for a more detailed report to send in view of probable forthcoming move from my DLA to PIP? I have read that agencies are using medical report from one to inform the other, don't know if that's still the case?)
3. Again re ESA reassessment, and probable DLA to PIP, is it the case that those undergoing ESA reassessments are likely to end up having two medicals or they trying to use the one medical for both now?

Thanks very much in advance

More
8 years 4 months ago #147346 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Reassessment

bennie wrote: Hi

I'm in a similar position with ESA reassessment and currently have a few questions

1. Is it better to get old letters of support which were included in previous ESA claim (two years ago) updated - although the ESA50 appears to suggest not to?
2. In my previous ESA claim I included one or two consultant letters though these were more along the lines of only describing treatment and condition: should I be getting these updated and ask my consultant for a more detailed report to send in view of probable forthcoming move from my DLA to PIP? I have read that agencies are using medical report from one to inform the other, don't know if that's still the case?)
3. Again re ESA reassessment, and probable DLA to PIP, is it the case that those undergoing ESA reassessments are likely to end up having two medicals or they trying to use the one medical for both now?

Thanks very much in advance

1. Yes, the DWP and assessor will always pay more attention to recent letters and reports than those that are older.

2. The criteria and assessment approach for PIP is very different from that under DLA so it is certainly worth asking your Consultants to write new letters in reference to the PIP activities.

3. Whilst ESA and PIP have some areas of crossover even then they are sufficiently different that a separate assessment is required for each benefit. This does not mean that a face to face will necessarily be required for both, but you should work on the assumption that this will be the case until proven otherwise.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 4 months ago #147367 by bennie
Replied by bennie on topic ESA Reassessment
Thanks very much for your prompt reply :-)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.