× Members

Won my appeal today, stressful but successful!

More
8 years 1 month ago #153176 by Karen Brown
I have my appeal this week and I am going crazy worrying about it. I am Bi-polar and had DLA for 8 years. It was stopped at the end of April because I didn't send the PIP forms back on time, despite the fact the award was until the end of July.

I am meeting the CAB rep before it but haven't met him before, so that's un-nerving me for a start.

I tend to chatter away like a budgie when I'm nervous, which I don't want to do, it could give a false impression of how I really feel.. I have a 3 page report from my psychiatrist stating I that I cant deal with money and budgeting, have trouble with social interactions and dealing with people face to face, struggling to manage my therapy forgetting to take pills and lack the motivation to cook for myself due to anxiety and depressive episodes that can last a week at a time. I also have issues with alcohol when I'm depressed. Do you think I should mention that?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #153191 by Gordon
matundara

Your post suggests that the appeal is in regard your claim being closed because you failed to return the form, If this is the case the Judge will only be interested in why you were unable to return the form on time, they will not be making a Decision on whether you should receive an award or not.

If this is not the case and the assessment continued and you did not receive an award or did not receive the one that you expected then please ignore the paragraph above.

If alcohol has an impact on your ability to complete the PIP activities then you should definitely mention it, if you have not done so previously then you may be asked why you have not.

Make sure you have time with your advisor before the hearing to discuss your case.

Best of luck

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

More
8 years 1 month ago #153195 by Karen Brown
Replied by Karen Brown on topic Won my appeal today, stressful but successful!
Thanks for the quick reply Gordon.

I wasn't very clear, sorry. I had my DLA stopped early because I didn't return the PIP forms on time. They were however send back about a month later.and I was awarded 0 points which was very distressing, I felt like I was being made out as a liar. and it made me feel suicidal.

The CAB did a mandatory reconsideration for me but as they offered no new information it was refused and still had 0 points. I didn't have the psychiatric report until after the mandatory reconsideration. I send it to DWP and they grudgingly awarded 3 points on the documents that came with my appeal. I'm not sure what that is called when they do that as the mandatory reconsideration had been done.

The alcohol has been an issue for some time and I did mention it in the PIP application. I also have a sheet given to me by my psychiatrist recently to summarise my treatment and what we are going to tackle moving forwards.he mentions alcohol as being an issue as well as compulsive hoarding and relationship difficulties.

On another note I had a message on my phone a few days ago from DWP saying I was to apply for PIP by calling them back, quite bizarre.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #153201 by Gordon
matundara

Thanks for explain.

The panel will consist of three people, in the centre will be the Judge, although they may just be a solicitor, they will take notes and control the appeal. On one side will be a doctor, you should the bulk of the questions to come from them, on the other will be a lay person with experience of disability issues, they will likely ask you some questions after the doctor has finished.

The questioning will be robust but should be respectful and they should allow you time to answer, if you can try and take a second to make sure you understand what is being asked before you reply.

At the end you will be given an opportunity to add anything that you want.

They may not make a Decision while you are there, the Clerk of the Court will let you know if this happens, if it does then it will not be any reflection on the result, just they do not have time to deal with it while you wait.

Best of luck

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

• bro58
8 years 1 month ago #153204 by bro58
Hi m,

Have a read through : ThisTopic :)

bro58

More
8 years 1 month ago #153433 by Karen Brown
Replied by Karen Brown on topic Won my appeal today, stressful but successful!
Hi,

I had my appeal and went from 0 to 13 points for care. Been such a stressful year and the appeal was very difficult for me and my relative. Spent much of the time in tears, the panel were lovely but I found it very hard to cope with the questions.

So relieved thats over, award is from 1st July 2015 for 2 years. Does ot mean I need to do the whole thing again in July if they send the renewal a year in advance?

The CAB rep was fantastic, despite my initial fears. I am going back to them to get further advice about other issues in a couple of weeks.

I have some questions around the end of DLA and the start of the award. My DLA award from my previous appeal was until 27th July 2015 but the DLA said they would stop it on April 28th 2015 because I hadnt called to start a claim. . However I called the DWP on the 28th April( I know, close to the wire} to start the PIP claim and the pack was sent out. My DLA was stopped on that date, I stupidly thought it would get reinstated once the claim was started but it never was.

My award today is from 1st July 2015 until 30th June 2017. What happens to the period 28th April untril 1st July 2015? I need this period covered for tax credit purposes more than anything.

Lastly thank you for all the useful info on your site and your support.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.