× Members

Cessation of ESA and effect on current PIP award?

More
8 years 1 month ago #153653 by Doris
My nephew is in receipt of PIP (4 months into a 2 year award) and ESA after a serious motorbike accident.

Back in January his wife started a new job and the DWP were notified in order to cease the ESA claim. This morning a PIP assessment form landed on their doormat. We can't help but speculate this may be as a result of the cessation of the ESA claim.

Have the mods ever come across this situation - coincidence, or related ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #153720 by Gordon

Doris wrote: My nephew is in receipt of PIP (4 months into a 2 year award) and ESA after a serious motorbike accident.

Back in January his wife started a new job and the DWP were notified in order to cease the ESA claim. This morning a PIP assessment form landed on their doormat. We can't help but speculate this may be as a result of the cessation of the ESA claim.

Have the mods ever come across this situation - coincidence, or related ?

It's definitely one of the two :)

Although the DWP can re-assess a claimant at any time it would be very unusual for a claim to be re-assessed after only four months, your nephew should contact the DWP PIP helpline, they should ask to speak to a manager which will require a call back, it's possible that the form has been sent in error.

I'm afraid that they must complete the form in detail and supply evidence in support of the claim, even if it has been sent before, unless they area told (ideally in writing) that the re-assessment has been cancelled.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 1 month ago #153769 by Doris
It appears a reassessment as been triggered due to his wife returning to work - not him ? Even the person who called back from the DWP felt it was unfair, but restated the PIP process - form and possible F2F- would have to be gone through a second time in less than four months.

This begs the question that if the DWP are becoming draconian when reassessing a claimant whose spouse has a change of circumstances, then those on PIP who return to work would, I imagine, be very likely reassessed. I'm aware the general advice is to notify the DWP if a PIP claimant returns to work, despite the PIP handbook (and CAB) stating "There is no need to report that the claimant has started or finished work...unless the amount of help that they need has changed."; however, if that's going to lead to the stressful reassessment process each time, then its going to become a barrier for PIP claimants who wish to return back into a work environment but don't want to risk a repeat of the assessment process.

Worth noting for those on PIP who're thinking of returning to work, and a cautious tale for those on ESA whose spouses may have a change in their work related circumstances.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.