× Members

ESA Medical assesment overseas.

More
8 years 1 month ago #153705 by WTW
ESA Medical assesment overseas. was created by WTW
I have been on IB & then ESA for 8 years. I moved overseas for health reasons 4 years ago. I am now being sent for a medical & wonder what to expect. Will this be the same as in the UK or different format / questions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #153739 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Medical assesment overseas.
W

Welcome to the forum.

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

Unfortunately we are limited in the advice we can give for members claiming ESA while abroad, not least because the forms and procedures for claimants in this situation are not available in the public domain.

The Assessment process will be similar to that done in the UK but will not be an exact match, a local doctor will most likely be used to carry out the assessment and because they are not specifically trained in disability assessment the interview will be more like a medical with investigations into each of the ESA Descriptors.

There is also a special ESA50 that is sent to claimants living abroad, although it is broadly similar to the current UK one, as far as I am aware there is no electronic version.

The process will be a lot more convoluted and typically takes a lot longer.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 1 month ago #153749 by pusscatsmum
Replied by pusscatsmum on topic ESA Medical assesment overseas.
Ensure you have someone with you firstly.
Secondly it would be a good idea that a person goes with you that is fully conversant in both languages and that person will be able to legally translate the written forms from the GP who writes up your medical form.
It is your responsibility to have it translated legally.
There are quite a few pitfalls so ensure you read up carefully and ask questions on an expat site where others have gone thru the procedure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.