× Members

Requested home visit for PIP but not offered one

More
8 years 1 month ago #153745 by optimusprime
Hello, I recently applied for PIP for my 25 year old Son. He has Aspergers and rarely leaves the house. He does not currently receive any benefits, and has never worked so he has no income of his own. I am effectively his full-time carer. When he does go out, he needs to have someone accompanying him. On the PIP form I stated all of his difficulties in detail, and I explicitly stated that he would need a home visit assessment. Yesterday, a letter arrived from Atos stating that he would need to attend a PIP claim assessment at a centre. As soon as he saw the letter he was panicking, as was I. He absolutely dreads going to unfamiliar places and meeting new people. He absolutely will not go. I will be telephoning Atos first thing tomorrow but I am not optimistic. If he can't get a home visit then we are back to square one. Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #153771 by slugsta
Hi and Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

ATOS are always reluctant to undertake assessments in the claimant's home, so you are far from being the only one who is having to face this :(

If your doctor agrees to Fax ATOS with a letter supporting the fact that your son cannot travel to/from the Assessment Centre, explaining why he can't, that should help !! Without such a letter I'm afraid your chances are much slimmer.

Quite a few of our members have successfully challenged having to travel to a face to face and ATOS still have to make "Reasonable Adjustments" under : Section 20 of EA2010 if your son fulfils The Definition of disability under the Equality Act 2010., and they can be taken to County Court for failing to do so !!

You are allowed to re-arrange once which may give you time to challenge this, but if you do so, and it ended up that you still have to attend, you would have to take part, or face the risk of your son's PIP claim being ended.

Be forewarned, ATOS may not give in without a fight, and you could involve your M.P. Many member have, and their M.P.'s have helped :

Contacting your MP

You should Bookmark/Favourite this page in your Internet Browser now.

That way you can return to this topic easily to pose any further queries that you may have by replying to the topic.

See : This Topic also !

Thanks in anticipation of your future co-operation in keeping all queries relating to your son's PIP claim to this topic !

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by slugsta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wibblum

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.