× Members

ESA50 FRUSTRATION

More
8 years 2 months ago #152195 by Steve Blue
ESA50 FRUSTRATION was created by Steve Blue
Dear Benefits and Work,

Here we go again :(

My dad received a letter a couple of days ago from the Health Assessment Advisory Service along with an ESA50 form to complete and return by the 28th of March. What makes receiving this form even more upsetting is that he retires in 5 months.

[Side-note] My dad also receives DLA. I'm assuming this form has nothing to do with DLA/PIP. The letter doesn't appear to say so as I can see. Letters from the DWP can be very difficult to read :unsure:

Brief history: My dad suffers from Ankylosing Spondylitis (and degenerative disease whereby parts of the spine degrade and fuse together) - which effect mobility greatly (amongst other things).

A quick recap from memory: Years ago my dad was claiming incapacity benefit, then following an assessment the DWP placed my dad in the WRAG which would effectively end my dad's ESA November 2013. A late reconsideration finally placed him back in the Support Group (25/07/13) after his benefits had been stopped a few months prior. A decision maker called me to inform me of the positive reconsideration decision and also indicated that his next 'assessment' would be postponed until 2016 which would be around my dad's retirement so the benefit would no longer be needed. The DWP did not amend their decision from 2012, but thankfully the HM Courts decided in our favour later on so all benefits lost were returned.

My concern lies in that the decision maker advised over the phone the reconsideration placing my dad in the Support Group would effectively last up until his retirement and in correspondence from the DWP it states that 'A 3 year prognosis applies from 23-Jul-2013 because the healthcare professional advised that improvement was unlikely in the longer term.' In reality of course, due the degenerative nature of my dad's condition he will never improve, if there is any change at all, it will only get worse.

The above 3 year prognosis informed by the healthcare professional, plus the call from the decision maker would of course take the ESA up until my dad's retirement when (of course) the benefit would end anyway as you cannot claim ESA when retired.

I called the complaints resolution team on Friday who informed me they'd send on my concern, but there's no guarantee that they'll actually do this so could potentially send my concern in writing to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. myself.

It's just very frustrating - especially 5 months before retirement. If I contact the complaints resolution team above I could theoretically send all the old evidence if that would be accepted.

I just thought I'd send in my concern (sorry it's a little long-winded) to see what you thought.

Kind regards -
Bluebear.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #152230 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA50 FRUSTRATION
Hi BB

Sorry to hear that your father is going through this again.

It's important you understand that any conversations that you have with the DWP Complaints team are separate from the re-assessment process that your father is now going through, unless he receives written confirmation that the re-assessment is cancelled then he/you must deal with the ESA50 or his benefit could be terminated for failing to participate.

Also, his file is with Maximus not the DWP, so there is no point your sending any evidence to the DWP at this time as they will not do anything with it until the file is returned with a recommendation.

You might want to get your father's MP involved.

Contacting your MP

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steve Blue

More
8 years 2 months ago #152331 by Steve Blue
Replied by Steve Blue on topic ESA50 FRUSTRATION
Thanks, Gordon.

Would contacting our MP be the right thing to do in this instance? I only ask as when we got in touch with him a few years back he simply forwarded our concern onto the Complaints Resolution department.

Regards, BlueBear.

• bro58
8 years 2 months ago #152356 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA50 FRUSTRATION

Bluebear wrote: Thanks, Gordon.

Would contacting our MP be the right thing to do in this instance? I only ask as when we got in touch with him a few years back he simply forwarded our concern onto the Complaints Resolution department.

Regards, BlueBear.

Hi Bb,

I have always found my M.P. to be helpful (I don't give them any choice in the matter :evil: :laugh: ) and they generally have Case Workers who can assist.

Besides, gaining direct contact with The Complaints Resolutions Team is a feat in itself, as normally claimants find it very difficult to do so !!

bro58

More
8 years 2 months ago #152364 by Steve Blue
Replied by Steve Blue on topic ESA50 FRUSTRATION
Okay, I'll consider writing to our MP instead. I'll wait a few days for a reply... If no positive answer, we'll begin completing the ESA50 again. I'm not looking forward to that :(

Are you able to confirm a couple of points, please?

Regarding the ESA50 form my dad received - I would assume this has nothing to do with the DLA my dad receives. This is likely a silly question, but I assume this relates to ESA only?

In addition, just to confirm, ESA cannot continue into retirement, but DLA can?

Regards,
BlueBear.

More
8 years 2 months ago #152371 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA50 FRUSTRATION
BB

Yes the form is only in regard his ESA claim.

He cannot receive ESA once he reaches State Retirement Age, don't forget that the date for this has been moved back, so this won't be 65 any more.

This is an ESA re-assessment only but your father will be asked to claim PIP at some time during the next couple of years, his DLA will continue, past 65, until a Decision on a PIP claim is made.

Grdon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.