× Members

Volunteering when in receipt of benefits

More
8 years 2 months ago #154358 by Inspector
Volunteering when in receipt of benefits was created by Inspector
Hi All,

My first post.

I suffered a significant brain injury in 2010, and a major stroke shortly after.

Suffered a series of seizures since, which still continue.

I returned to work after 8 months, but after 2 years I had to take 'ill health' retirement after almost 44 years in constant employment.

After what I would describe as the most difficult fight of my life I was awarded PIP & ESA,

I continue to suffer physiological and psychological issues.

MY QUESTION IS- I have been asked if I would like to do some voluntary work for my old employer.

My GP and my psychologist have said that this would have a huge therapeutic and positive effect.

It is only going to be a couple of hours once or twice a month maximum.

I am however still raw from my experience dealing with DWP/CAPITA and ATOS and do not want to enter in to any further unnecessary confrontation with them.

It is an advisory administrative type of task that will take approx half a day a month.

Do I need to involve the DWP in what is a very undemanding unpaid/voluntary therapeutic matter that will improve my mental health?

I am of a mind to decline if it means putting myself through the mill again.

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Lewis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #154367 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Volunteering when in receipt of benefits
Lewis

Normally there is no requirement for claimants to notify the DWP if they are undertaking voluntary work, however, unpaid work is not the same a voluntary work and a Decision Maker may take the view, especially as this is for your former employer, that this is work that would normally be paid.

On this basis I believe that you must inform the DWP about it, even though it may only be a 1/2 day every month, as there is a possibility that they will treat it as Permitted Work, which must be notified.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Inspector

More
8 years 2 months ago #154373 by Inspector
Replied by Inspector on topic Volunteering when in receipt of benefits

Gordon wrote: Lewis

Normally there is no requirement for claimants to notify the DWP if they are undertaking voluntary work, however, unpaid work is not the same a voluntary work and a Decision Maker may take the view, especially as this is for your former employer, that this is work that would normally be paid.

On this basis I believe that you must inform the DWP about it, even though it may only be a 1/2 day every month, as there is a possibility that they will treat it as Permitted Work, which must be notified.

Gordon

Thanks Gordon,

When I said 'previous employer' I should have been more exact.

I did a long stint working for the police, then another long stint in local government.

The volunteer post is an established 'volunteer scheme' that has been running for years and is not connected with my previous role/position within those organisations..

I would compare it with a lay magistrate or possibly a lay prison visitor, and there is no payment attached, it is purely unpaid voluntary time.

It would not fall under the description of permitted work.

Regards

Lewis.

More
8 years 1 month ago #154448 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Volunteering when in receipt of benefits

Lewis wrote: Thanks Gordon,

When I said 'previous employer' I should have been more exact.

I did a long stint working for the police, then another long stint in local government.

The volunteer post is an established 'volunteer scheme' that has been running for years and is not connected with my previous role/position within those organisations..

I would compare it with a lay magistrate or possibly a lay prison visitor, and there is no payment attached, it is purely unpaid voluntary time.

It would not fall under the description of permitted work.

Regards

Lewis.

Providing you are happy that you meet the requirements for voluntary work and your doing this does not call into question any of the reasons why you were awarded ESA, then I can't see any reason why it should be an issue.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Inspector

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris