× Members

New award

• Dickens1953
  • Topic Author
8 years 1 month ago #154489 by Dickens1953
New award was created by Dickens1953
Hi, I have just been awarded the Standard Daily Living Component of PIP. No mobility award!
I am also in the support group of ESA.
I don't know the exact amount of ESA I receive, I can't find a resent award letter but I do get the 'disability income guarantee' and extra for being in the support group.
I have 2 questions if anyone can help.
1: Do I have to inform the DWP that I have been awarded PIP and
2: Will my PIP award affect the amount of ESA I receive.

Thank you in anticipation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #154490 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic New award

Dickens1953 wrote: Hi, I have just been awarded the Standard Daily Living Component of PIP. No mobility award!
I am also in the support group of ESA.
I don't know the exact amount of ESA I receive, I can't find a resent award letter but I do get the 'disability income guarantee' and extra for being in the support group.
I have 2 questions if anyone can help.
1: Do I have to inform the DWP that I have been awarded PIP and
2: Will my PIP award affect the amount of ESA I receive.

Thank you in anticipation.

Hi D1953,

Welcome to Benefits and Work Forum :)

Congratulations on the Standard DL PIP Award !! :cheer:

"1: Do I have to inform the DWP that I have been awarded PIP"

Strictly speaking, you shouldn't have to inform ESA, but it would be advisable as being in receipt of a Standard PIP DL Award may also entitle you to extra Income Related (IR) ESA top-ups to your current ESA payments.

"2: Will my PIP award affect the amount of ESA I receive."

Yes, it may do, as mentioned above, in that you may now be entitled to payment of The SDP !!

To receive payment of The Severe Disability Premium (SDP) as an : Income Related (IR) ESA Premium top-up to your normal ESA payments you must fulfil the following :

"You or your partner must satisfy all of the following :

be receiving the Care component of Disability Living Allowance (middle or higher rate) or Personal Independence Payments Daily Living (either rate)

live alone (there are exceptions to this rule. e.g. if your partner is also in receipt of a MR/HR DLA Care Award or Standard or Enhanced PIP Daily Living Award)

no one else must be getting carer's allowance for looking after you

There is a couple rate if both of you qualify."

However, having an entitlement to an ESA Premium does not necessarily mean that you will be paid the Premium/s.

It will also depend on whether you can pass the "IR ESA Means Test" regarding household income, any hours worked by a partner, (if you have one) capital, assets and savings with respect to IR ESA entitlement :

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

To be financially assessed by the DWP for payment of IR ESA (Premium) top-ups, you may need to request, fill in and return an ESA 3 Financial Assessment Form (Sample)

If you are already in receipt of IR ESA, which it looks like you may be as you state that you are currently entitled to the 'disability income guarantee' which is an indication that you receive The EDP as an IR ESA Premium Top-up for being in The SG, you should only have to fill in an : IS10 Form

So to sum up, to be paid any of the IR ESA Premiums, not only do you have to satisfy the qualifying criteria, you must also be able to pass the IR ESA means test, as "ALL" ESA Premiums are paid as IR ESA top-ups !!

Currently The SDP for a single is £61.85/Week, whilst the couple rate is £123.70/Week

See : Benefit Rates 2015/16

Try one of these : Benefits Calculators.

You should Bookmark/Favourite this page in your Internet Browser now.

That way you can return to this topic easily to pose any further queries that you may have by replying to the topic.

See : This Topic also !

Thanks in anticipation of your future co-operation in keeping all your related queries to this topic ! :)

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.