× Members

Income based ESA wife lost job

More
8 years 1 month ago #154635 by revrickyb
Income based ESA wife lost job was created by revrickyb
Hi I get income based ESA (support group)and my wife has just lost her jib due to ill health. What do we do now, can I add her to ESA claim or does she start her own ESA claim, she did not earn enough to pay tax or NI so not sure if she would be eligible for income or contribution based ESA. Help this is so confusing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #154651 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Income based ESA wife lost job

Ricky wrote: Hi I get income based ESA (support group)and my wife has just lost her jib due to ill health. What do we do now, can I add her to ESA claim or does she start her own ESA claim, she did not earn enough to pay tax or NI so not sure if she would be eligible for income or contribution based ESA. Help this is so confusing.

The first thing you need to do is notify the DWP that she is no longer working so that any deductions from your ESA payments due to her income are stopped.

I would recommend that you get face to face advice, do an internet search for "welfare advice" with your postcode, town or county.

If your wife is eligible for Contribution Based ESA then she can make a claim for ESA, if accepted then her ESA(CB) will be deducted from your ESA(IR) so their will be no nett change, but she will receive NI Credits that count towards a full State Pension.

If she is not eligible for ESA(CB) then then you do not need to take any action, she is already part of your ESA(IR) claim and as you are in the Support Group already it is unlikely that you will receive any more if you switch the claim to her, only one of you can make a claim for an Income Related benefit. This is where an advisor can help as they will be able to calculate your income.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• knibbles
8 years 1 month ago #154790 by knibbles
Replied by knibbles on topic Income based ESA wife lost job
My husband lost his job he has recently mad a joint claim and I sign fortnightly with him. However, I went to see my gp as due to depression anxiety panic attacks and he has given me a sick note. I cant see a light at the end of the tunnel think life is not worth living anymore. I spend at least 3 to 4 days in pain taking medication and bed rest. I feel for your wife I don't know what to do next. When I find a job I will not be able to sustain it due to pain and due to panic attacks.

More
8 years 1 month ago #154797 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Income based ESA wife lost job

knibbles wrote: My husband lost his job he has recently mad a joint claim and I sign fortnightly with him. However, I went to see my gp as due to depression anxiety panic attacks and he has given me a sick note. I cant see a light at the end of the tunnel think life is not worth living anymore. I spend at least 3 to 4 days in pain taking medication and bed rest. I feel for your wife I don't know what to do next. When I find a job I will not be able to sustain it due to pain and due to panic attacks.

Has your husband made a claim for JSA?

I'm afraid if it is an Income Related claim then only one of you can make a claim!

I would advise you to get face to face advice from a trained advisor, it may well depend on the nature of your health problems and how long you are likely to suffer from them, but it may be to your financial advantage to switch the claim to you and for you to make a claim for ESA.

Do an internet search for "welfare advice" with your postcode, town or county.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.