× Members

Government 'U'-turn

More
8 years 1 month ago #154906 by 1048claire
Government 'U'-turn was created by 1048claire
I have been on DLA (Mobility at higher rate, Personal care a the lower rate) since 1999.
I was told I had to transfer to PIP on January 4th 2016, which I did. As well as the form, I sent them various documents(doctor / employer/carer) in support of my claim. On February 29th, I received a telephone call from an assessor (I think that's what they call them). She asked me a few questions. When I asked her when would I be required to go for a medical she said that I wouldn't have to, and she would be writing up her report there and then. She told me I'd be hearing from the DWP of their decision in 4 - 5 weeks.
I have THREE questions :- Firstly, who actually makes the decision to award (or not) PIP - the assessor, or the DWP?
Secondly, what is happening to people forced to be reassessed from DLA onto PIP now the government have done a U-turn on disablement benefits? I'm thinking of those who'd Mobility has been downgraded, or even stopped, and who have had to hand their Motability cars back?
Will they now get their cars back? Will all 'downgrading' be overturned?
Finally, what will happen to those (like myself) who's reassessments have been done, and are still waiting to hear the results from the DWP?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #154907 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Government 'U'-turn
Claire

Decisions are made by either a DWP Decision Maker or Case Manager based on information in and with the claimants PIP2 form, an assessment report and any other information sourced during the process. In the majority of cases the DWP will follow the recommendation made by the assessor, but we have plenty of examples on the forum where the DWP have not done this, sometime to the advantage of the claimant and sometimes not.

I'm afraid you have misunderstood the changes that were cancelled this week following the budget, these were changes proposed for implementation in 2017, which will not now happen. The fact that they have been cancelled has no effect on those being assessed at the moment nor those who have been assessed. In particular, since the proposed changes only affected the Daily Living component of PIP they would have had no effect on anything to do with the Mobility component or cars leased through Motability,

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris