× Members

I've never claimed ESA, is it too late ?

More
8 years 1 month ago #154964 by judyh
I was retired from work on ill health grounds as I have MS , 4 years ago and had to deal with ATOS at the time . I was so upset by their treatment that I couldn't face claiming ESA.

I wanted to know if it's too late to start claiming now , four years after not working. I don't really understand the process but I think I need to get a sick note from my GP, which I haven't had for the last four years .
I'm really unsure about it all and would appreciate any advice.
Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #154987 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic I've never claimed ESA, is it too late ?

judyh wrote: I was retired from work on ill health grounds as I have MS , 4 years ago and had to deal with ATOS at the time . I was so upset by their treatment that I couldn't face claiming ESA.

I wanted to know if it's too late to start claiming now , four years after not working. I don't really understand the process but I think I need to get a sick note from my GP, which I haven't had for the last four years .
I'm really unsure about it all and would appreciate any advice.
Thank you

There's an Understanding ESA guide in the Members Only area. See

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

You should also have a look at our ESA Claim guides, same link.

As it appears to have been four years since you last worked, you should be aware that you may only be eligible to claim Income Related ESA which is dependant on your household income, your savings and assets, and any hours that your partner works. See

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

If you have any further questions then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.