× Members

M.E and severe depression

• Sarah
  • Topic Author
8 years 1 month ago #154975 by Sarah
M.E and severe depression was created by Sarah
:( hi i suffer with M.E, anxiety and severe depression. I have just recived my dreaded esa form but after all the negative media attention I am proper struggling as it affects both my physical and mental health but does fluctuate, any advice kindly recived

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #154977 by shelam
Replied by shelam on topic M.E and severe depression
Hi Sarah

I'm assuming that you've been able to look at the forms and the guidelines given on the website? Yes, it is complicated and confusing and bewildering(!) but you have the guides to help you.

I think first and foremost you have to forget just answering the questions with yes, no or sometimes, and instead, if you DON'T fit neatly into one of the descriptions offered, then say so. In the space for the answer, just state that you don't fit into any particular category but that you've written an explanation for each problem you face at the back of the form - there is a page specially for things that just don't 'fit'.

Yes, it means thinking very carefully about what does happen to you, but it also stops anyone from assuming that you're only ill part of the time and the rest of your time you're fine. If your physical problems cause your mental health issues to get worse then say so Explain how much time you spend in bed, or just sitting, or trying to get around - keep a diary for a week and then show just how much time you do spend feeling awful.

Make sure you have all your evidence from your GP or any consultants, and back-up evidence from your friends and family and present it all together, making absolutely sure that the evidence DOES support what you are saying. Then wait and see what happens.

The worst is that you will have to ask for mandatory reconsideration, followed by appeal. Not the end of the world. We are here and will help you if it comes to that.

If you need any other help before you send the form away make sure you let us know that you have already asked for advice - means we don't have to search about and start answering your questions right from the beginning again!! Good luck for now. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.