× Members

ESA and Crohns

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #155079 by CarolHodgson
ESA and Crohns was created by CarolHodgson
Hello
Has anyone had any experience with a claimant having severe active Crohns and being turned down for ESA?
I have already submitted a mandatory reconsideration which was also turned down and am now going to appeal. They only gave me 6 points for the bowel section and haven't even contacted my consultant!
Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome.
Thanks,
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by zach09. Reason: name

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #155092 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA and Crohns

MollyMoo wrote: Hello
Has anyone had any experience with a claimant having severe active Crohns and being turned down for ESA?
I have already submitted a mandatory reconsideration which was also turned down and am now going to appeal. They only gave me 6 points for the bowel section and haven't even contacted my consultant!
Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome.
Thanks,

Other members are free to comment if they wish.

The major difference between the six points you have scored and an award if frequency, once a month for the WRAG or once a week for the Support Group. So it appears they accept that you have problems in this area but not the degree to which you are affected.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #155100 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA and Crohns
Hi

The claimant's GP is seldom contacted, , even less so consultants. For this reason we always advise that you obtain any supporting evidence yourself, where possible.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 1 month ago #155129 by SharonB1
Replied by SharonB1 on topic ESA and Crohns
I was diagnosed with severe Crohn's 38 years ago. I received SDA from the age of 16 for it and I had to apply for ESA 3 years ago. I also have had a colostomy for the last 9yrs. I used the ESA guides on this website and included lots of supporting evidence such as copies of letters from my Consultant to my GP and also got both Drs to write a supporting letter, I also enclosed photos of the fistulas I have. I qualified for the support group for 3yrs with no face to face assessment under 'special circumstances' - in that working/work related activities would make my health worse and also that my Stoma bag leaks several times a week (sometimes a day!). My Drs wrote how working would make my health worse. If you have incontinent problems that are bad enough for you to change your clothes at least once a week then you should be put into the support group, similarly if work activities will make your health worse- but you must provide evidence of this. Unfortunately I am due for reassessment this July so hoping as nothing has changed then I will still qualify.

More
8 years 1 month ago #155131 by CarolHodgson
Replied by CarolHodgson on topic ESA and Crohns
Thanks both of you for your comments.

More
8 years 1 month ago #155174 by CarolHodgson
Replied by CarolHodgson on topic ESA and Crohns
Thanks Shaz.
I am planning to get supporting letters from both my GP and consultant.
Here's hoping.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris