× Members

Writing to DWP re legacy

More
8 years 1 month ago #155088 by SCHSheff
Writing to DWP re legacy was created by SCHSheff
I have received a legacy from my Mum's estate following her death last November.

I am writing to the DWP to inform them of this. I am in the Support Group of ESA(CB) and I receive DLA (HRM and LRC).

I have a straightforward (I think) question: can I send just one letter, to the address I write to for ESA, or should I write separately to the ESA address and to the DLA address (which is different).

sorry to waste your time with trivial stuff but I'm flagging plus the blinking printer is playing up, again...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #155102 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Writing to DWP re legacy

SCHSheff wrote: I have received a legacy from my Mum's estate following her death last November.

I am writing to the DWP to inform them of this. I am in the Support Group of ESA(CB) and I receive DLA (HRM and LRC).

I have a straightforward (I think) question: can I send just one letter, to the address I write to for ESA, or should I write separately to the ESA address and to the DLA address (which is different).

sorry to waste your time with trivial stuff but I'm flagging plus the blinking printer is playing up, again...

DLA is not means tested and is not affected by income or savings so you do not need to inform them about your legacy.

If you are only receiving Contribution Based ESA then this is not affected by savings, however, if there is any chance that you are also receiving an Income Related ESA top up then you must inform the DWP.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 1 month ago #155108 by SCHSheff
Replied by SCHSheff on topic Writing to DWP re legacy
Thank you for quick response.

I do not receive an income related top up since I have an occupational ill health retirement pension.

I think I read a past post where the member was advised to inform the DWP of any legacy, even when they were not on a means tested benefit? I can't find that post now, perhaps I read it on another website.

Not clear what to do now but thanks anyway.

More
8 years 1 month ago #155109 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Writing to DWP re legacy

SCHSheff wrote: Thank you for quick response.

I do not receive an income related top up since I have an occupational ill health retirement pension.

I think I read a past post where the member was advised to inform the DWP of any legacy, even when they were not on a means tested benefit? I can't find that post now, perhaps I read it on another website.

Not clear what to do now but thanks anyway.

Personally I would but from what you have posted there is no specific requirement for you to do so.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 1 month ago #155111 by SCHSheff
Replied by SCHSheff on topic Writing to DWP re legacy
That was my gut feeling too so that is what I will do. I will send just the one letter to the ESA address, but also referencing my DLA in it.

Thanks Gordon.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris