× Members

Ending ESA claim and reclaiming

More
8 years 5 months ago #155141 by Raindrop
Ending ESA claim and reclaiming was created by Raindrop
Hello,

I'd be really grateful for a bit of advice please. I did search the forums first but couldn't find anyone asking this particular question.

I applied for ESA (income-based; I've been ill since childhood and have never been able to work) last year and am awaiting an assessment. But since I applied, I've read a lot more about how to answer the questions and what supporting medical evidence to enclose. I didn't enclose any medical evidence (but can obtain it) and so I've realised this will probably make things much more difficult for me.

In light of this I've decided it would be best to end this current claim and re-fill in the form, and enclose the appropriate medical evidence (would you agree with this?). I'm not quite sure how I end the current claim though. Would I write to them and explain the above? I'm also not sure if there's any time limit before I can apply again? Finally, would it jeopardise my case in any way if I closed this claim and reapplied?

Thank you very much.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #155142 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Ending ESA claim and reclaiming
Raindrop

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

You would need to separate a new claim from this one by more than 12 weeks to guarantee that you would receive a new ESA50, less than this and they can decide to link the two claims and use the existing ESA50.

However, you can continue to submit information and evidence up to and including the day of the assessment so you should consider whether it is worth continuing with this claim, if successful then you will receive back payment to the date that you made the claim last year. A new claim will only be payable from the date is made.

On the other hand, should this claim fail you may be unable to make a new claim unless you can show that you have a new condition or your condition has deteriorated since the Decision not to award is made.

I would start by having a good read of our ESA Claim guides that explain the criteria against which you are being assessed, that way you will be making a more informed decision that perhaps you can at the moment. See

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

If you have further questions then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raindrop

More
8 years 5 months ago #155402 by Raindrop
Replied by Raindrop on topic Ending ESA claim and reclaiming
Hi Gordon,

Many thanks for your reply. I've had a good read of your great guide and I've decided to go ahead with my plan of ending the claim and starting a new claim. Apart from the medical evidence to enclose, I've realised there are places where I should have gone into a lot more detail about the extent of my disability on the form.

I would be grateful if you could let me know how I go about ending a claim please - do I write to the DWP explaining, and ask for them to close the current claim?

Thank you very much for your time.

More
8 years 5 months ago #155433 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Ending ESA claim and reclaiming
Raindrop

You should be able to close the claim over the phone, but I would recommend that you follow up in writing. The phone number and address will be on any letter you have had from the DWP about your claim.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raindrop

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.