× Members

esa and minimum wage

More
8 years 1 month ago #155173 by reds123
esa and minimum wage was created by reds123
hi all, i am claiming esa and in support group for mental health reasons and my wife who is my carer works part time for 3 hours a week but now the minimum wage is going up she will receive about £1.80p over the allowed £20 she can earn before it effects our money as i claim jointly for both of us so do i need to inform the dwp or is this such a small amount that they will not take it into consideration, but if they do consider it what amount will they take off me i believe she can earn far more before it effects the carers allowance but not sure on esa. why haven't they increased the allowed limit along with minimum wage ? many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #155195 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic esa and minimum wage

british bulldog wrote: hi all, i am claiming esa and in support group for mental health reasons and my wife who is my carer works part time for 3 hours a week but now the minimum wage is going up she will receive about £1.80p over the allowed £20 she can earn before it effects our money as i claim jointly for both of us so do i need to inform the dwp or is this such a small amount that they will not take it into consideration, but if they do consider it what amount will they take off me i believe she can earn far more before it effects the carers allowance but not sure on esa. why haven't they increased the allowed limit along with minimum wage ? many thanks.

You are required as a condition of your receiving ESA to report the change/

I would expect any income over the £20 disregard to be deducted £ for £ from your ESA.

The disregard amount for ESA is not linked to the Minimum Wage or the Living Wage and has remained the same since ESA was introduced in 2008.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: reds123

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris