× Members

Should I mention PAC's concerns at assessment

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #155533 by scramwag
Replied by scramwag on topic Should I mention PAC's concerns at assessment
Hi Shelam

When I get the date of the home visit, I think I will give the contractor a
ring just to ask if the HCP could read up a bit about this. On another note, what do you think of the latest news confirming the fragility of all private assessors' future in this area? I in particular, if they all now believe that their jobs are under threat, what do you think the impact will be on the quality of their remaining assessments, more or less 'compassionate?'. The whole system is just too subjective and job uncertainty wil only add to this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #155535 by scramwag
Replied by scramwag on topic Should I mention PAC's concerns at assessment
Hi Doris,

I agree and it seems absurd that lack of knowledge on their part should have the financial impact to the extent that it does. It's completely unrealistic for them to pretend that it doesn't matter just what the diseases/disability is - if someone had a verruca and claimed on their form that this meant they were completely paralysed throughout their body, had to stay in bed all day and be fitted with a feeding tube, the assessor would be right to conclude that that claimant was over-egging it a bit. It 's vital that HCPs see knowledge of the conditions that they have to pronounce on as part of their job spec.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #155548 by Gordon

scramwag wrote: Hi Shelam

When I get the date of the home visit, I think I will give the contractor a
ring just to ask if the HCP could read up a bit about this. On another note, what do you think of the latest news confirming the fragility of all private assessors' future in this area? I in particular, if they all now believe that their jobs are under threat, what do you think the impact will be on the quality of their remaining assessments, more or less 'compassionate?'. The whole system is just too subjective and job uncertainty wil only add to this.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to what are only rumours at this time, it's really not as simple as just getting rid of the Assessment Providers.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #155549 by Gordon

scramwag wrote: Hi Doris,

I agree and it seems absurd that lack of knowledge on their part should have the financial impact to the extent that it does. It's completely unrealistic for them to pretend that it doesn't matter just what the diseases/disability is - if someone had a verruca and claimed on their form that this meant they were completely paralysed throughout their body, had to stay in bed all day and be fitted with a feeding tube, the assessor would be right to conclude that that claimant was over-egging it a bit. It 's vital that HCPs see knowledge of the conditions that they have to pronounce on as part of their job spec.

Whilst I don't disagree with the comments in this topic the position of the DWP and the Tribunal Service is that assessors receive the training they need to be able to carry out an effective disability assessment.

That's not to say that this can be disproved on an individual basis, but it does require the claimant to show specific examples from the assessment report where assumptions have been made of capability, which would not have been made by someone with a more detailed knowledge of the claimants conditions.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: scramwag

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.