× Members

Contacting DWP

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #155477 by Moz
Contacting DWP was created by Moz
Hello, has anyone contacted DWP by phone to notify them about a change of circumstances. I did so a few months ago regarding my son who had had a rise in his pension from his previous employer. He was medically retired at the age of 31, he is now 35. I assumed that it had been sorted until 3 weeks ago he got a letter to say that he had committed Benefit Fraud for not informing them, however someone must of informed them as his ESA was reduced. If you have experienced the same problem what did you do as we are at our wits end as the DWP have threatened to stop his benefits.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
8 years 3 weeks ago #155480 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Contacting DWP

Moz wrote: Hello, has anyone contacted DWP by phone to notify them about a change of circumstances. I did so a few months ago regarding my son who had had a rise in his pension from his previous employer. He was medically retired at the age of 31, he is now 35. I assumed that it had been sorted until 3 weeks ago he got a letter to say that he had committed Benefit Fraud for not informing them, however someone must of informed them as his ESA was reduced. If you have experienced the same problem what did you do as we are at our wits end as the DWP have threatened to stop his benefits.

Hi M,

I would always advise members to report a Change of Circumstances (C of C) such as this in writing to create a paper trail :

Sending Documents to the DWP, ATOS, Capita or Maximus.

You will need to try and prove that you did report the C of C over the phone !

A lot of DWP phone calls are recorded, so if you know the day date and time that you made the call, you could refer them to it and if necessary issue a Subject Access Request (SAR) for all and any phone call recordings made around the time that you phoned them.

You can do this using a SAR Form :

SAR Form Download

From this page :

DWP Data Protection Policy

Or you can make the request in the form of a letter, as long as you make it clear that you are making a formal SAR under The Data Protection Act 1998.

Address the envelope : FAO The Data Controller, at the Benefits Office dealing with his ESA.

Write DPA 1998 SAR in front, top, left corner of envelope.

Once received, they have 40 calendar days to comply.

Sending Documents to the DWP.

If you can prove that you did report the C of C, and that the overpayment is therefore down to DWP error, your Son should not have to pay any arrears of overpayment back !!

I would have expected DWP to have sent an ESA 3 financial assessment form out to him or a declaration to fill in once they were made aware of this C of C.

You could also seek professional advice, see : This Topic

bro58

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #155587 by Moz
Replied by Moz on topic Contacting DWP
Thank you for the replies, my son did not receive anything from the DWP when we reported a change of circumstances, if they did send something he did not receive it, as I am his carer and I check his post and nothing had arrived, so just assumed rightly or wrongly that it had been sorted. We have also since I posted my question that in fact the Inland Revenue had also informed the DWP surely if they had advised DWP this should of been adequate. Hopefully we can get it sorted if we can ever get my son's pension provider to send us the relevant paper work. Once again Thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.