× Members

Help with the 'moving around' section of PIP form

More
8 years 1 month ago #155897 by scramwag
I am having trouble with the 'moving around' section of the form. I have a disease that features progressive muscle weakness and this becomes worse in warm weather. Last summer, which was poor in terms of temperatures, I found that my legs simply packed in very quickly and I had to get a lift home. Would I put this in the moving around section only it means that on warm days, (anything over 19'C) it is not possible to even begin a journey in sunshine . Do you have any advice? Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #155916 by Gordon
scramwag

All of the PIP activities, including the Moving Around one, must be completed reliably on the majority of days for a claimant not to score points.

It is acceptable for fluctuating conditions to explain how you are affected over periods as long as a year, so this should not be an issue.

You need to have a look at the PIP Claim guide for the detailed explanation of "reliably" as to the "majority of days", if your problem is climate specific, it might help to get some meteorological data to show average temperatures for the area of the country that you live in, hopefully this will show that you are at risk for the majority of the time.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

If you have more questions then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Gordon.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #156791 by scramwag
Hello
Given that this forum is for people to ask questions of the moderators alone, would it be possible to ask questions without having them published; I only ask because my problems seem to be quite rare, affecting one person per million and I would be surprised if ATOS, Capita and DWP do not read this forum and now and again be able to identify the claimant? I have reached screaming point with the mobility section. I would be really grateful for any advice.

This message contains confidential information
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by Gordon.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #156812 by Gordon
Scramwag

We can make your post "confidential", that way only the Moderators and you can see what you have posted.

I have edited your post to include a confidential comment, if you access the forum without logging in you should not be able to see the contents of the comment.

It will cause problems if you require our answer to be confidential as well as our response will need to be in your post for you to be able to see it, but this is doable.

If this OK then ask you question(s) and we will update your post before we publish it to the forum.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: scramwag

More
8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #156864 by scramwag
Hello Gordon
Thank you very much for making this' confidential'.

This message contains confidential information
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by Gordon.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #156906 by Gordon
scramwag

I'm sorry but we cannot reply by email.

So, starting with the Going Out activity. Your primary problem with this activity is that your problems are physical and this activity is aimed at claimants that have cognitive, mental health or sensory issues, this does not mean that you should make your arguments but I think it unlikely that you will score points.

You do mention problems with your sight and hearing and these may offer a route to scoring points in this activity, but the obstacle will be that most assessors and certainly the Decision Maker will have a simplistic view of this requirement, basically they are looking for claimants who are blind or deaf, so your ability to score points will be very dependant on how you explain your problems.

You also need to be mindful of the wording used in the Descriptors for this activity; I can't see you meeting the requirements for (b) and (c) from what you have posted, (d) and (f) are being treated as issues of navigation and (e) is down to "overwhelming psychological distress", so your responses must deal with these specific issues to have any hope of scoring.

The Moving Around activity is purely concerned with the distance you can walk. From your post, the distances that you can walk, when able, will definitely count against you as there will be an assumption that they take into account any issues of reliability that you might have, you'll have to think about how you can work around this.

So this leaves whether you can walk in the first place on any particular day. Your problem here will undoubtedly be having your reasons for being unable to walk accepted by the assessor and DM. I think your strategy here has to encompass three areas; first you must inform. In other words you need to provide easily digestible information about your conditions and how they would affect someone. Secondly you need to show that you are specifically affected by these conditions and the degree, this will need to be supported with medical evidence, I assume that there can be a wide variation in symptoms. Lastly you need to show on what days you would be impacted, I mentioned it before, but information on temperatures in your area of the country is probably the best way to go, if you can, provide five years of daily data and indicate the periods where your walking would have been limited.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.