× Members

ESA RECIPIENT does it worth to apply for PIP??

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #156263 by pahatouridis
Hi
My wife is suffering from multiple illnesses such as CRPS on her leg,following a fibula fracture.Pains in her knees and back,MYALGIA,FATIGUE,short memory lapses.slur talking,hearing problems,PENUTIOUS ANAEMIA, APNOIA ,Anxiety and agoraphobia .As a result of combination of all of them she is on a very heavy doses of pain killers opioeds medication that turned her on a zombie and she can unpredictably collapse unconscious for a minute while she is in the middle of something. She can hardly move more that 50 m with 2 clutches and wears a moon boot on her leg all the time. She is unable to look after her self and I have to care for her more than 10 hours daily.With all these problems 2 years ago she had filled up her papers and she went to medical with ATOS and the assessor there found her fit for work as he didn"t even bothered to examine her as he ticked only boxes based to what she had written to the form . Subsequently after 3 months with no money as she was not physically able to go to the Job center to actively look for a job, she applied for ESA again. This time I had seen your site and became a subscriber.Based on the advice given in your site, she filled up the same form again given emphasis this time to the descriptors and attached again the letter of her GP .A month later the letter came from DWP stating that she was placed on ESA FOR 3 YEARS WITHOUT MEDICALS. A great thank you for your help through your detailed guide. I phoned after that to DWP to ask about her scoring but they were unable to give us any further details .
Now We wanted to have the green badge for the car but we found out that she can have it only if she is on PIP.
Well nobody told us that she can claim PIP when she is on ESA income based and she is claiming for me too. I have done your test for PIP in your site and found out that probably she could score for the enhanced living allowance and higher mobility .
My question is that are not clear the benefits of such a move .
Are we gone be better off financially and how much will be the difference if I claim as her carer also??Is it going to be needed to go for medicals for PIP to Atos AND are these medicals the same as with ESA??If they fail her on PIP are they automatically fail her on her ESA award?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #156284 by Gordon
Paul

Congratulations on the ESA award.

As a general comment I would expect you to be better off is she receives PIP and ESA, you'll need to get face to face advice if you want to know the detailed financial implications. PIP is a non means tested benefit, so her ESA will not be reduced by her receiving PIP and may be increased.

PIP and ESA are separate benefits, whilst there are areas of commonality, even where this is the case the criteria are still different. So it is possible to be eligible for ESA and not for PIP. A failed PIP claim will not impact on her ESA claim.

The PIP Claim guide explains the claim process and the criteria against which she will be assessed.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

As an aside, you do not need PIP to receive a Blue Badge, you can apply directly to your Local Authority.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: pahatouridis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.