× Members

Success but should I appeal?

• rayisfun@hotmail.com
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 1 week ago #157103 by rayisfun@hotmail.com
Replied by rayisfun@hotmail.com on topic Success but should I appeal?
Thanks for your feedback Abby. Sorry your appeal didn't improve your mobility score. Did you gain any more points for the care component by appealing? This is my main concern as I've read so many reports that those of us with mental illness rarely receive a PIP mobility award.

I tried to make a CAB appointment but they don't have any appointments at all in my area. I was referred to other local advice agencies who told me that the earliest appointments were mid June which will be longer than the 30 day appeal cut off. It seems a lost cause.

The PIP decision summary claimed that the mental state examination (which I wasn't informed about by the assessor) showed normal general cognition and speech content. I wasn't given any of the recommended cognition tests by the assessor. There is no acknowledgement of difficulties with thought process or content experienced with OCD that might affect cognition and it's associated effect on certain descriptors. I think I need to show this report to my GP and psychiatrist because it's not reflecting the medical evidence I submitted.

If a statutory mental health service carried out such a poor assessment it would be highly questionable at the very least and possibly a breach of their duty to care. Considering that the DWP is a statutory body don't they have a similar duty of care when assessing people with mental health? I wish MIND or some other mental health organisation would legally challenge the quality and validity of the PIP MH assessment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.