× Members

Disabled couple - ESA stopped for both of us!!!

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #156920 by Steve M
I'm sorry - this is my first visit to the forum, so I don't even know if this is the best thing to do, but my wife and I are in a panic right now.
I've been waiting for my assessment for over a year now - so my Contribution-Based ESA has been stopped. I was advised to get my wife to make an Income-Based claim to include me - she WAS already in receipt of ESA having been assessed for Support Group 3 years ago. We made the claim, but then she had her ESA stopped too as they wanted details of her pension. We sent the details and today my Jobcentre Advisor has called me to say that due to her pension we won't get ANY ESA anymore. She's advised us to look for pension credits instead, but my wife is only 40 years old, so surely won't be entitled?
We're in shock - as our pensions are tiny. I get about £70 per month and my wife gets about £120 a month. We both took lump sums when we were retired on ill health - but all of that was spent on house repairs.
Can't my wife return to Contribution-Based for herself - as she must be entitled? I could look into pension credits I guess - as I'm 57 and would probably get something - or claim Carers Allowance as I've already been accepted but don't get it due to ESA - or just continue to wait for my assessment to happen and hopefully be assigned to the support group.
We don't know what to do, who to turn to, or how we're going to survive on just our PIP benefits. My wife can't stop crying.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 2 weeks ago #156924 by Gordon
S

Welcome to the forum.

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

Are you sure that they have stopped all of her ESA, nothing in your post would suggest that this would result from the pension payments that you mention? It is possible that ESA(IR) would not be payable, but this would not stop payment of her ESA(CB).

I would suggest that you contact the DWP for clarification of what is going on, you might want to ask for a call back from a manager as I suspect that the call centre staff will not be able to help.

Come back to forum when you have a better idea of what I happening and we will do our best to help. Alternatively, you might want to get face to face advice as you may need someone to help you correspond with the DWP which we cannot do on the forum. Do an internet search for "welfare advice" with you postcode, town or county.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 2 weeks ago by Gordon.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #156937 by marieukxx
Replied by marieukxx on topic Disabled couple - ESA stopped for both of us!!!
I've never heard of anyone waiting a year for an assessment for ESA. So you sent the form back and it's been a year without any news?

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #156958 by Gordon

Marie wrote: I've never heard of anyone waiting a year for an assessment for ESA. So you sent the form back and it's been a year without any news?

Whilst the situation has improved considerably from last year where we were seeing large numbers of ESA claimants waiting more than 18 months for an assessment, there are still delays and 12 months is still not unusual.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #156975 by marieukxx
Replied by marieukxx on topic Disabled couple - ESA stopped for both of us!!!
Really? that's crazy.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #156992 by raindaisy
Replied by raindaisy on topic Disabled couple - ESA stopped for both of us!!!
marie , i waited over a year for esa /assessment decision, i got the letter informing me iesa will be stopped as only paid for a year and i had not been assessed yet!!
then i went to the assessment , expecting nothing, i was put straight into the support group ! still getting esa (CB) in SG.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.