× Members

ESA and changes of address, payments stopped for n

More
8 years 1 week ago #157391 by wendy
I recently moved to sheltered accommodation filled in housing benefit and wrote to DWP and wrote to tell of change of address, I contacted them today for a query with my ESA and was told my claim had been closed, they had been writing to my old address not my new one. I moved last November I did write to them they have been writing to wrong address I now have no money I don`t know what to do Please can somebody help,, I was not aware they could just stop payment I don`t know what will happen, I have severe copd, my heart is in AF, (161 beats per minute), I have Epilepsy, I had a bad fit in the doctors on Friday I am so worried I don`t know what to do . Please can somebody help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 week ago #157403 by Gordon

wendy wrote: I recently moved to sheltered accommodation filled in housing benefit and wrote to DWP and wrote to tell of change of address, I contacted them today for a query with my ESA and was told my claim had been closed, they had been writing to my old address not my new one. I moved last November I did write to them they have been writing to wrong address I now have no money I don`t know what to do Please can somebody help,, I was not aware they could just stop payment I don`t know what will happen, I have severe copd, my heart is in AF, (161 beats per minute), I have Epilepsy, I had a bad fit in the doctors on Friday I am so worried I don`t know what to do . Please can somebody help.

I am going to recommend that you get face to face advice on this matter, you really need someone who can interact with the DWP on your behalf which is not practical on the forum. Do an internet search for "welfare advice" with your postcode, town or county.

You should also consider contacting your MP.

Contacting your MP

The key thing is proving that you notified the DWP of the change of address and therefore that any issues with your ESA are their error.

You can also try ringing again and asking for a call back from a manager, they may try and fob you off, but you are entitled to have the call.

Otherwise you may need to go through the appeal process and request a Mandatory Reconsideration, See the ESA Appeal guide.

I'm afraid you won't be paid until the matter is sorted. Also, if you have Housing Benefit then this may also be stopped, but you should be able to make a nil income claim and have it re-instated.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: wendy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.