× Members

ESA for both people in a couple

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #157499 by feistyblue
ESA for both people in a couple was created by feistyblue
I was placed in the support group in February this year on an income based claim.. My spouse is about to put in a claim for ESA. We are currently not living together but plan to move in together in June. Will either of us lose any money from our ESA? My spouse had been in the support group for about a year until last September when we separated. She returned to uni for one afternoon a week to finish her degree and the DWP decided that she could no longer claim ESA. Her health problems are very much still there and her therapist has said she is nowhere near ready to return to work. My spouse's claim will also be income based I believe as it was before.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #157504 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA for both people in a couple

feistyblue wrote: I was placed in the support group in February this year on an income based claim.. My spouse is about to put in a claim for ESA. We are currently not living together but plan to move in together in June. Will either of us lose any money from our ESA? My spouse had been in the support group for about a year until last September when we separated. She returned to uni for one afternoon a week to finish her degree and the DWP decided that she could no longer claim ESA. Her health problems are very much still there and her therapist has said she is nowhere near ready to return to work. My spouse's claim will also be income based I believe as it was before.

If you are both only entitled to Contribution Based ESA then there will be no impact to either claim.

If you are receiving ESA(IR) in total or ESA(IR) as a top-up to a ESA(CB) claim then your partner cannot make a claim for ESA if they are only entitled to ESA(IR) unless you close your ESA(IR) claim first, normally they would be added to your claim and you would receive the couples rate of ESA.

You should get face to face advice to decide which options are best for you or at the very least, put your information into one of the online benefit calculators. See

www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.