× Members

TOPIC CREATED BY FREDDYFISH

More
7 years 11 months ago #157603 by Gordon
TOPIC CREATED BY FREDDYFISH was created by Gordon
Freddyfish

I managed to get a copy of your post from last week before the forum went down.

Are there any laws pertaining to access re PIP assessment centres?. Have been out to reconnoitre one for a friend who has an appointment for assessment next week. Instructions say opposite train station but the centre is in a pedestrian precinct with no parking within 300 metres + , no taxi access, and walking distances greater than 20 metres just to get to the door...essentially a nightmare scenario for any one with disability....you have failed the higher rate of mobility just by getting there as I guarantee they will be watching you arrive..

To get there we are going to have to park in a nearby retail car park and then get a taxi to drop us 20+ metres from the door. The 20+ metres are in full view of the large window in the assessment centre . My friend says he has a shooting stick that he can use to sit on ( he can only walk about 5-10 metres due to severe spinal stenosis and swollen leg) but god help anybody who does not check it out beforehand or needs assistance as my friend does to carry things. If I drop him off he cannot carry bag of pills etc walking stick and shooting stick on his own so needs me with him. Plus it means he has to go in on his own if I drop him off while I try to get parking and somehow get back to the centre. Nightmare.

The distress this must cause people is horrendous. Why make an assessment centre so inaccessible Surely there should be parking bays out side the place. I am apaulled.
We are going again on Sunday to see if there is anywhere to park on a blue badge as I have one but it is going to be traumatic for both of us just getting there and back and very expensive if we get a taxi from home or the retail car park.

Just wondered what other centres are like. I went to a centre in a diff town where I live and there are about 8 parking bays outside and a big car park behind the building so much better than this new place. If I were cynical I would say it was all planned!! But that could be paranoia!!!lol

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #157605 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic TOPIC CREATED BY FREDDYFISH
Freddyfish

There are no legal requirements beyond those in the Equality Act which apply to all premises.

They should be able to request a different office be used providing this is their first appointment, if not then then they will have to attend as a second change of venue or date will likely result in their file being returned to the DWP for failing to participate which could lead to the claim being closed.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.